Banhammer Forums

A quick word about multi-gaming

Rob

As has become apparent over the last few weeks, the Sons of Odin are starting to spread in to other games. I want to be clear that this does not mean that we will be abandoning the games we are already it...

Planetside 2 attendance has been rather light, of late, and that is easily attributable to burn-out, with most of the "old timers" having been in game for over a year now.

As we begin to spread in to other games, we will be recruiting in those games. We will be bringing in new members and we will be training them up and treating them as well as we have all of our other members to date. In every game we decide to have a presence in, we aim to be the best. People rolled their eyes when we said it about PS2 and where are we? We're one of the best known and most griefed groups in the game. We can take out groups many times our own size and hold bases against the entire enemy zerg.

We are planning on being that good in other games as well and we know that people will roll their eyes again.

That's ok.

Back to my key point. We're starting to branch out and will continue to do so. Some of the leadership from Ps2 will be moving in to other games and that will leave some positions open for those who can prove they are able to handle the responsibility. We will also have positions opening up in the games we are moving to, also for those who can prove they can handle it.

We are planning some training for ARMA already - This training will be much more intense than the training from planetside, due to the highly intense nature of the game. The people who make it through the training in ARMA will be infinitely more deadly than they are now (and that's already starting to show) and will have a highly expanded skillset. If you want to get in on that action, go for it.

Of course we also have the Star Citizen alpha coming up. When that hits we will immediately start mapping out the game mechanics and working out how to get the most performance out of the ships, as well as assembling basic and advanced combat maneuvering training. As the time for the final release gets closer, we will dramatically ramp up our close quarters combat training in an effort to make sure we field the deadliest group of marines in the game.

We also have the ESO beta which has been trickling invites out. We don't know how that will play out as many of the comments about the game have been far less than stellar so far but if it proves to be worth our time, we will expand in to ESO as well.

In the mean time, I fully expect everyone to keep pushing forward. We said from the beginning that no member of SOO will ever be removed because they are unable to participate and I plan on sticking true to that. I am going to have a talk with leadership about what to do with those who came in, did their training and disappeared, though. We made a commitment to everyone here and I, for one, expect a level of commitment from every member.

On that note, we need to continue recruiting efforts in PS2. I know the pickings are slim due to waning interest in the game and the criteria we use for selecting members are very strict which means we are not going to see a wave of people flowing in. We are looking for people we can mold into the best fighters on the battlefield and we won't settle. We will also continue to push recruiting efforts in other games and as time continues on we will grow exponentially as long as we have the support of our members.

Don't think that because we don't put 100 people on the field in PS2 it means we're in bad shape. It's quite the opposite. To date, we have been working 1 garden and now we're branching out to turn that little garden into a farm. More details will emerge when we have the town hall meeting (We would like to have EVERYONE there...That's EVERYONE from day one to present so we can discuss some of the awesome things we have planned) and we will tell everyone how we plan on handling our expansion efforts.

TL;DR : We're getting ready to grow. Commit, be a part of the team and let's bring it in for the big win!

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I think some of the discouragement comes from the fact that these other games are not free to play. This means that many of us that WANT to play simply can't. I for one would love to play Star Citizen and Arma, but can't due to limited funds. I know many other outfit members share this situation. I am not complaining by any means...I am just trying to explain why some members may be discouraged with the outfit branching out to these other games.

I for one would like to start an outfit fund, a sort of kickstarter that would help subsidize games for members. I'll bring this up to the officers (obviously there need to be rules so it doesn't get abused) but if I could drop $40 bucks and have extra people get into Arma, well I'd say that's money well spent.

I think that's not a bad idea Nordic. We'll talk.

As for the free vs not free thing, I understand where you're coming from on that Xirma but I would say this is not a reason for people to get discouraged. The free / free to play games are an awesome (and obviously pretty new) addition to the world of gaming and this is the kind of thing that allows tons of new people access to the kinds of games they otherwise would not be able to play.

I also don't want anyone to think they are going to get left behind or dropped out in the cold if they don't jump on board with every game the clan branches out to. That couldn't be further from the truth. As I said, it will open some leadership positions up and those people who are able to handle the responsibility of those leadership roles. For me and for the people in current leadership, these are exciting times.

Also bear in mind that if people come in to other games later than the "pioneers" there will still be a place for them. Odin sticks together.

Guest Quantization

I'd just like to start off and say that I have complete faith in the infrastructure of this clan. I've been in my fair share of gaming clans/guilds/ect over the years most of which have fizzled and died at the hands of inactivity or members jumping ship. What these clans did NOT have was a "long haul" mentality which is exactly what I've gotten from Odin. I am fairly new to the clan and unfortunately I wasn't there for the glory days in PS2 but I can tell that the leadership is committed to the clan's perseverance and that is what will keep it alive. I hope I do not overstep any boundaries or offend anyone with this post.

In regards to efforts in PS2: I for one am not burned out and have found a lot of spare time on my hands. I am entirely willing to help push recruitment in PS2 but I feel that in order to be successful we will need a statement on how Odin is going to continue to operate within PS2. I can say from personal experience that when the officers become burned on a game, forcing yourselves to keep playing almost always leads to a long, drawn out death of the clan. If the core leadership is done with PS2, I think the healthiest thing to do would be to make that known and transition the outfit into an "official interim phase" of sorts. The worst thing as a newer member is sitting in this limbo of waiting for leadership to come back (see: "Fry's Dog" gif).

To expand on what Quantization said, regarding PS2: I think that having a clear strategy for providing renewed leadership, well defined expectations of that new leadership, and effective oversight from the top brass will be very important. It's all well and good to promote people into positions of leadership in games where the "old guard" has moved on, but I feel that it's paramount that those who are promoted have a clear understanding of what's expected of them, and we make sure that everyone, from new recruits to new leaders, is living up to those expectations. That way we can make sure that the quality we've come to expect from ODIN is passed on and maintained through the new leaders.

Planetside 2 attendance has been rather light, of late, and that is easily attributable to burn-out, with most of the "old timers" having been in game for over a year now.

There are also other factors. When I was running a small business with clients, we always saw a dip in summer. People make plans, travel, do shit outside more. It's normal for summer to temporarily changes people's schedules.

Also Steam is having their summer sale and there are lots of really great titles. I've bought several and have trying them out. Friends of mine from the Mattherson server said they are doing the exact same thing. Even with all the great deals, one guy managed to somehow spend over $200.

So I really do think the attendance dip is temporary. I know it is for me.

• 3 weeks later...