Banhammer Forums

The Future Of These Forums - Please Read

N

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are losing money then kill it. It makes good business sense and you can use that revenue towards other projects. Life and the interweb will go one.

It's a very pragmatic view of things, but at the same time, we spent years even getting the regulars we have here to toss it away. We're all kind of two minds about it.

Well you asked how we felt and I gave you my two cents. I would love these forums to stay open and as they are but not if you and others are losing money on it.

Oddly enough, I like this place because it's felt "Work Safe". Other forums can feel like you can't visit them in a work or college classroom setting. Well..... you can but it feels awkward. I think WCG even implemented a "Work Place" skin blocking pictures.

It's also interesting that not much Political/Religion arguing popped up here. I guess this place is just chill where people can get away from that.

I kind of think of FEZ as a coffee shop and WCG is more like a bar.

Oddly enough, I like this place because it's felt "Work Safe". Other forums can feel like you can't visit them in a work or college classroom setting. Well..... you can but it feels awkward. I think WCG even implemented a "Work Place" skin blocking pictures.

It's also interesting that not much Political/Religion arguing popped up here. I guess this place is just chill where people can get away from that.

I kind of think of FEZ as a coffee shop and WCG is more like a bar.

Yeah, over time you get a feel for a place.

I like the feel of this place. It's relaxed, respectful and not too serious. Just an easy place to hang out. I don't know what the formula for a successful forum is but I'd have thought that, with the content that's being put up, you'd get an amount of casual visitors, some of whom would stay and become regulars.

Do we have any idea how long it generally takes for forums to catch on and take off?

It depends. I mean TeamXBox had the benefit of coasting along the emerging XBox system. Sometimes a forum can get away with being Team Whatever and people following that 'whatever' the forum is built around will bump into it on Google searches.

I mean someone could start Team Windows 8 X_X . New users who like or even dislike Windows 8 would show up.

Maybe FEZ needs to find something more defined to build itself around like that.

Do we have any idea how long it generally takes for forums to catch on and take off?

We set up a phpBB forum in July 2011 and it didn't take, so it faded out, even though it was still there. We went with Vanilla, which let us hook it up our articles and we hosted the Sons of Odin and we did okay last summer. When people started to pop over over the following months, we got to this simmer that we have at the moment, but some people came and went.

I was also thinking of a catch all forum for the network of sites. The cost of vBulletin is a non-issue. We are currently paying $150/month for Vanilla.

There are a couple of issues with moving to a catch all forum with the biggest being migrating content. I hope Vanilla will give us a dump of the data and that it's something that I can parse and upload into a new system.

The other being, I don't know what vBulletin is up to, the have VB5 as well as VB4. I hate the mobile support in VB4 but it looks like they are down for mobile in VB5. People seem to hate VB5 online though, so I don't know if that would be the best option.

There is another forum suite that looks like it would be nice with a nice mobile design called Invision Power Boards (IPB). Bethesda and other use them and it looks pretty similar to VB. Take a look here and let me know what you think: http://www.invisionpower.com/features/

I'd forgotten about IPB. They've have a stellar BB system if you don't mind customizing your plugins for every single little update they release.

I'm looking at all the community stuff and there is some cool things people have made. It looks way better than vBulletin. The more I look at it, the more I want it.

I'm kind of wondering if vBulletin is so last decade lol. It used to seem like the biggest and nicest forum solution, but maybe there are other options now.

That's what it is to me. It hasn't aged well in terms of looks. I know most people are used to it but I think IPB would be better. It's still up in the air though so we need feedback.

Just as a side note, WCG recently updated from vb4 to vb5 and it basically crashed the site. After a few days they eventually went back to vb4 because there were so many issues with 5. Literally nothing worked properly. I think the update is still gonna happen but only after a lot of work has gone into it.

No no no no no...let's not get it twisted. N's post sounded VERY doomsday-ish but that's not the case at all. We will continue to have forums, we're just trying to decide which is the best route to take.

Nobody is going anywhere. Never fear.

No no no no no...let's not get it twisted. N's post sounded VERY doomsday-ish but that's not the case at all. We will continue to have forums, we're just trying to decide which is the best route to take.

@N you bastard! I've been crying and masturbating for days now.

What the hell is wrong with you?

What the hell is wrong with me?

@N you bastard! I've been crying and masturbating for days now.

What the hell is wrong with you?

All options were on the table, I just asked the forum for guidance. *shrug*