Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eSwags

Windows 10 is coming out, what do ya techies think?

6 posts in this topic

Haven't used it but, from what I've read, I'm cautiously optimistic.  Windows 8/8.1 had a lot of good tech improvements over 7 but made a lot of compromises on the desktop usability side (said as someone who has used 8.1 on my laptop).  Looks like 10 is rolling back most of those to more sane versions while keeping the underlying advances.  I'm hoping my optimism isn't misplaces as Microsoft has said they aren't planning on bringing the next version of directX to 7, so we're going to have to update sooner or later.

xirma377 and Roamin like this

Honestly though...can you blame them for forcing an upgrade? It takes a lot of money to keep supporting legacy operating systems. Let's face it...come Windows 10, Windows 7 will be considered "legacy". Windows 7 HP is already end of support.

I have used the tech preview of Windows 10 and I like it. Now before I go further, I should note that I love Windows 8.1. I never use the new Start Screen and I have no problems using the desktop. I love the new "power user" menu that you get with right-clicking the start button or pressing Windows+X.

Windows 10 brings many visual improvements. For starters...the window border is now only 1px wide. There are other UI improvements that you can read about too. One of the biggest improvements are in the "snap" features. You can now snap to quadrants instead of just halves. There are also suggestions made when you snap the first window, suggesting a second window to snap beside the first.

Along with these changes, there are now virtual desktops. While I think they need some improvement in the way they behave, it's a start. This will be nice for power-multitaskers and those with only a single monitor.

For anyone thinking that they "brought back the start menu", you may be disappointed. Essentially, the new "start menu" is the exact same thing as in Windows 8...except it's smaller and looks like a "menu" instead of a full screen thing-a-mah-jig.

As techies, I hope you realize that the complaints over the Windows 8 "start screen" are unfounded...due to the fact it operates nearly identically to the Windows 7 (and previous) start menus. Personally...I use the start menu in this fashion - Press Windows on keyboard, type an application, press enter. I can do the exact same thing on Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.

The media has obviously latched on to the "Windows 8 sucks" bandwagon for ratings. Technically, Windows 8 is fantastic! I am excited to see what they have improved upon in Windows 10. So far...it looks great!

eSwags likes this

Thought I should follow up with my last post...

In the latest Tech Preview of Windows 10, they improved on the virtual desktop functionality! You can now click+drag apps from one desktop to another. There are other improvements, but you can google those if you'd like. ;)

Haven't used it but, from what I've read, I'm cautiously optimistic. Windows 8/8.1 had a lot of good tech improvements over 7 but made a lot of compromises on the desktop usability side (said as someone who has used 8.1 on my laptop). Looks like 10 is rolling back most of those to more sane versions while keeping the underlying advances. I'm hoping my optimism isn't misplaces as Microsoft has said they aren't planning on bringing the next version of directX to 7, so we're going to have to update sooner or later.

Also, I forgot to mention I agree. Microsoft gave us an OS they didn't follow through with. So we ended up with a half "modern UI" half classic Windows experience. The lines were blurred...in a bad way.

However, I do feel that Windows 8.1 fixed most, if not all, the errors Microsoft made in the Windows 8 initial release.