Banhammer Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rob

State of the Clan - March 2013

Hey guys.

Just wanted to touch base with everyone and go over some of the milestones which were promised at the beginning of the Clan's journey, where we stand today and what kinds of things we can expect in the future.

When we kicked this thing off, we were just a fistful of guys with some guns and some ammo and an affinity for shooting the enemy in the cocknballs. As we started to get a little more in to things, we at FEZ came to the conclusion that this sponsorship was going to do wonders for helping the group grow and to assist with future expansion plans.

When I approached Roh with the offer, we laid out certain deliverables and timeframes for their delivery, along with a breakdown of the benefits these things would have for Sons of Odin. Here's a list of what we promised and where we are today

Website design - We built the Sons of Odin website and filled it with tons of goodies; Magical API's and plugins which (sometimes :P ) pull data from calendars and emails and youtube etc...We absorbed the cost on this, entirely. As I told Roh, this was about $4500 - $6000 worth of work...and we're handling all of the server and site maintenance as well...bonus! - This was delivered pre-launch, as promised.

Teamspeak server - We knew that running a teamspeak server would get very expensive with the kinds of numbers we want to eventually support. To have a 10 or 20 person ts server is cost-negligible but when you get up to the 512 man servers, they run $150 - $300 per month, depending on the host and the quality of service. We set up a server on one of our boxes in the datacenter that houses our web server, which gives us massive amounts of bandwidth. We also picked up the 512 user license so the clan never has to drop a penny on comms. Hot sex0r!

We promised forums! We have forums for DAYS :D And they're not those crappy vBulletin or phpBB forums. These are super-groovy, ultra-special forums! (We had considered getting a vB forum for the site but figured since we're already kicking out money for this one, there would be no point in paying the licensing fees for vB so...free forums!)

We promised streaming - We have done a lot of streaming in the past but not so much recently and there are a number of reasons for this. Primarily, we have so many new members on a regular basis that it is difficult to train / do ops / stream / have AAR's / talk clan business at the same time. When we are able to stream, we definitely do but we aren't able as much as we would like.

That being said...I am going to entertain the idea of allowing clan members to stream on a twitch channel that may or may not already exist.

Those are the more tangible things which have been met as deliverables. We have also included SOO (and soogaming.com) in multiple articles (including the review of PS2 which got passed around the SOE offices), which has netted you guys heaps of exposure!

Moving forward, we're working on getting the clan in a number of closed beta tests, including Elder Scrolls Online and Dragon's Prophet, as a clan...this would allow you guys to set up shop, start recruiting pre-launch, and really carve out a niche for yourselves in those games. We're also looking forward to taking part in the alpha and bets tests of Star Citizen and many more betas and multiplayer games to come.

We've also approached a number of hardware vendors regarding equipment sponsorships and are continuing to work with them, and will do so in the future. We will continue to market you guys to vendors and work toward getting more sponsorships in order to provide you guys with assets which will help you achieve the level of performance we know you're all striving for.

We've enjoyed having you guys on board and very much look forward to seeing what the future holds for all of us!

I also want to put in my deep appreciation. Not to gush but this is the best gaming experience I've had thus far. Largely due to FEZ and the excellence of the people within and in charge of the clan.

Four easy ways to keep this going:

1. Aggressively recruit individuals that meet our standards or conduct, play and attitude.

2. Maintain our professional image inside and outside of the game with ALL people we come in contact with.

3. Push ourselves to the bleeding edge of tactical and strategic prowess in any game we are associated with.

4. Promote individuals with the drive and commitment to see this outfit to the next levels and give new recruits a path forward to take an active say in the decision-making process.

These three things will elevate us to a level of badassery that even the biggest outfits will be jealous of. I mean, we are halfway there on my scale and they are ALREADY jealous.

Three things? Lawlz.

Also, I completely agree. It is about the people, the training and the image. If we recruit the right people and train them to the point that they are fully squared away, and they project a positive image, we will always be on top. We already have a great foundation of that to build on and we at FleshEatingZipper are wicked happy and super excited to see what comes.

We promised streaming - We have done a lot of streaming in the past but not so much recently and there are a number of reasons for this. Primarily, we have so many new members on a regular basis that it is difficult to train / do ops / stream / have AAR's / talk clan business at the same time. When we are able to stream, we definitely do but we aren't able as much as we would like.

That being said...I am going to entertain the idea of allowing clan members to stream on a twitch channel that may or may not already exist.

What was the result of the idea to allow members to stream ?