Banhammer Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FleshEatingZipper

‘Cosmopolis’ Review: Everything He Wants And Nothing He Needs

I've been meaning to catchup on Cronenberg movies and finally saw this. It is certainly more of a character study than a plot driven movie that a viewer gradually settles into. As usual, the people Cronenberg works with all contribute to a good visual film and a strong soundtrack.

It seemed like the movie sought to capture the mood of the strange economic times the world continues to drift through. Even Packer who tries to master the economy finds it turning on him. He seems to wonder if his position of privilege comes from his intellect or if it's mostly dumb luck.

In some other ways, this movie seems like it taps into some of the same things as American Psycho, but from a different angle. Patrick Bateman's life seemed to be lost in corporate culture, while Packer cruises by the rich and the poor wondering how it all fits together. He almost seems to feel like he's missed something or that his personal wealth is so huge it must be a joke.

It seemed like there was a clue to this with the "Pie Assassin" who attacks people like him. In fact, while one is tempted to look for the film's message in the ending sequence, I think most of the message could be derived from that. I think both Packer and Steele need to be slapped in the face with a pie. They were both delusional characters utterly consumed with desire and had lost all perspective.

Otherwise, if anyone does find this movie interesting I want to also suggest David Croneberg's movie Spider. The pacing is similar and also has great cinematography. It's another character study that explores the rocky life of a mental patient played by Ralph Fiennes.

Picked up this DVD on sale at the video store. I enjoyed watching this again and also the Behind the Scenes feature. I was surprised to see it was about as long as the actual movie.

I was thinking about an interview with Paul Giamotti in the feature, and what is going on with the ending. Maybe Benno is a delusion of Packer in a kind of Fight Club fashion. He could be symbolic of Packer's future and he feels it closing in.

Or if you want to stretch this even more, in the Limo Packer's "Theorist" says the future is over taking the present and that is why the people are protesting. In a way, the character Benno could symbolize the crushing competition of the future or even Packer's own fate.

So, Packer is the Present and Benno is the unwilling encroaching Future and both are trying to resolve what is happening.

Just my random thoughts after seeing it again.

I should triple-team this, A History of Violence and Eastern Promises. I haven't seen the last one.

How is the previous Cronenberg one? A Dangerous Method?

Eastern Promises is great - probably Cronenberg's best movie in the last twenty years. A Dangerous Method...not so much. I think I reviewed it for this site last year, and I don't remember caring for it.