Banhammer Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Videodrome

Crunch Bang Linux: Waldorf

http://crunchbang.org/

This operating system is another weird find I came across while looking at Open Source operating systems. It is very lean and barely has a desktop. It doesn't even bother to have a Start Button or Desktop Icons. It mostly works of a Right-Click to access the menu or Hot-Keys listed for convenience on the screen.

So what is so great about this OS? In my case, I'm using a Netbook HP-Mini that originally came with Windows XP. It's a decent machine with a portable size, but not very robust in the processor department with it's Atom CPU. After experimenting with different options, I think I've settled on Crunch Bang, and I think this is the fastest this Netbook has ever run especially compared to Windows.

It comes with the Ice Weasel web browser(Debian fork off of FireFox) and is already setup with Flash for YouTube. If you're a fan of Chrome, I suppose you could install the open source equivalent called Chromium.

If you want to edit pictures, it does come with GIMP. It's not Photoshop, but it's free.

So what is the result? My NetBook is now a much faster web browser and the same could go for any old Desktop. I'm talking old towers that are pushing a decade old. Also, people just don't seem to write Viruses for Linux, so I'm virtually virus free. I have seriously never had to deal with that bullshit using Ubunut, Debian, or any other Linux spinoff.

If anyone is curious about these Open Source OSes, I recommend using a program called The Universal USB Installer. That can use an ISO image to create a bootable USB. This way you can boot into the Live USB session to try the OS without installing it.

menu.png

Seems interesting, but aside from repurposing old hardware, what would say is really the draw of throwing this on an old laptop, aside from saying 'well, I did it'?

I'll honestly say I kind of enjoy the "Well, I did it" factor lol.

But really, I wanted to cite my own case with the Netbook which I've just had for a few years. It came with Windows XP which feels bulky in comparison to Crunch Bang. I guess I'm mostly pleased at what a great portable Web Browser and Word Processor I have now. I think Crunch Bang is even less demanding on the battery.

I also have no more worries about Viruses at the same time. I'm not hacker proof, but I'm not at risk for most of the typical virus bullshit. So I enjoy that peace of mind. I mean I can walk by all the Anti-Virus programs on the shelf in any computer store, shrug, and keep going. Don't need any of it.

Now would this make sense on a brand new Asus laptop with a high end graphics card? Probably not. I can imagine switching over to Linux could make gaming problematic. I'm not entirely sure I can use Netflix on this Netbook anymore because it requires Microsoft Silverlight.

I guess I just like throwing this out there just so people even know there is a 3rd option. I guess Linux is like the 3rd Party of Operating Systems.

Also, if you use Universal USB Installer, you can make a persistent USB based OS. I don't think you can even come close to doing that with Windows.

I suppose if I was in a situation where I thought I had failing hardware, I might back-peddle to running of USB. Then I would have my desktop and everything even if the computer had a complete hardware failure.

It's also a nice way to test drive an OS before actually installing it.