Banhammer Forums

Boston Marathon Explosions

BraddersTheDog

I'm not saying they were ok with it, what I'm saying is I haven't heard anything to the contrary. Obviously what you are saying is people were concerned about the searches. If that's the case, the authorities will have some answering to do, and rightly so.

I'm also saying that in those circumstances I wouldn't have any problem with my house being searched. I would be able to see the reasoning behind it.

In terms of infringements on peoples' rights I would say that people have rights for a reason. For me, those rights are important in preventing the government from taking advantage of people and are there to protect against it. However, those rights were unlinkely to have been created with situations like this in mind. I would argue that the right not to have your home searched is there to prevent corruption and speculative searches of properties which infringe on peoples' private lives.

You may have the right not to have your home searched speculatively, but in circumstances such as these, is it really that important that you exercise that right? Is it so important that you potentially let an armed terrorist run free in a residential area? Is that the spirit of the US consitution?

There are situations when you would be absolutely correct in telling the authorities to go swivel if they wanted to search your house, but I don't think this is one of those situations. I mean, what is being achieved by saying 'no' other than a hindering of the authorities who are searching for a dangerous individual?

Having said all that, I'm not a US citizen

/:)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offence to you or anyone that is not an american citizen but if your not then anything that is said is null and void. The rights of american citizens are for american citizens. You should apply to be one. The thing about our rights is that they are on 24 hours a day regardless of the situation. To infringe of thoese rights is un american regardless of the situation. I see where your coming from now though. People that are not american citizens dont care about our rights as much as the citizens do.

No offence to you or anyone that is not an american citizen but if your not then anything that is said is null and void. The rights of american citizens are for american citizens. You should apply to be one. The thing about our rights is that they are on 24 hours a day regardless of the situation. To infringe of thoese rights is un american regardless of the situation. I see where your coming from now though. People that are not american citizens dont care about our rights as much as the citizens do.

I'd suggest that, in this situation, upholding those rights is pretty unamerican, not the other way round.

And yes, I'm not a US citizen, but that doesn't mean I can't discuss and have an opinion on a US citizen's rights. What an absurd way of thinking.

You are aware that countries such as the UK have legislation restricting the situations in which peoples' houses can be searched, right?

The hell is going on here?

~X(

It does seem like there should be due process if government is going to step things up like that and pull people out of their houses. At least have the Governor Declare a State of Emergency.

I think it's more fair to the public to state bluntly that what happened is a game changer as far as procedure goes.

It would probably even be appropriate for the Federal Government to step in declaring it's intentions. It seems like a limited Marshall Law measure would be reasonable.

I think the best tool that is often ignored is the Letters of Marque and Reprisal. It's the Federal Government's equivalent of posting a Wanted Dead or Alive with Reward poster. It was originally intended for stateless criminals/gangsters/pirates.

I'm not trying to bash you or anything but how can you tell me what american is when your not american? Your not american you dont know what american is. it would be like telling a woman what a woman is or an asian person what they are or a white person what they are when your not any of thoese things.Whats the point of having rules if your only going to follow them sometimes? I'm not talking about the uk. are we talking about geo politics now?

I’m not saying that I’m just saying you don’t know what you’re talking about :)) Do you know what it’s like to have a vagina? Hold on let me read about it. I guess we could all read about but were all not going to be the experts. You should apply and come join the party! You have miss read and miss interpreted what I wrote. Your free to have your opinion and discuss all you want but when it comes down to it its none of your buisness. Would you be ok with me going into your house and telling you how I think you should live your life? 8-} Your name wouldnt happend to be Piers Morgan would it?

No ones taking my rights away unless I'm dead

"The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon."

George Washington

No ones more American then great George!

Well shit, I live in Michigan. I don't know if I should comment on people living in Massachusetts. I mean they even have that weird New England accent. I could possibly have anything in common with them.

I did watch The Departed though. That might give me some insight into Boston culture. Seems like a rough place to live. To many people kicked out of Ireland live there.

I'm not trying to bash you or anything but how can you tell me what american is when your not american? Your not american you dont know what american is. it would be like telling a woman what a woman is or an asian person what they are or a white person what they are when your not any of thoese things.Whats the point of having rules if your only going to follow them sometimes? I'm not talking about the uk. are we talking about geo politics now?

Instead of the botardness this discourse has taken, step back to realize a view things. Levels of Americanism or Patriotism or whatever-ism are relative. No one, I repeat NO ONE has the right or means to determine who has less or more etc. We base our Constitution on universal rights, therefore it is plausible that any man woman or child may weigh in and offer their opinion.

Also, if you ever want to get in a Patriot Dick Measuring contest, step inside my office.

Lastly, the reason police will enter a searchable area (which has to be set by a judge, AG, or mayor, and can be expedited during a public emergency because individual search warrants are inefficient) full armed is that they need to protect THEMselves.

In other words, stop looking at the police as these faceless jackbooted thugs trying to keep YOU down and realize that they are actual people, with flaws, strengths, and families etc. You might meet a cop that is an asshole. It happens, not all cops are assholes. But that cop, if he is searching an area where an investigation leads them to believe an armed terrorist is hiding out, needs to take all necessary precautions to protect his life, and the lives of his men.

If you don't agree with it? Fine, stop using 200 year old quotes on the forums and put your money where your mouth is. Go join the service or become a police officer and look at it through their eyes. If there is a problem, change it from within, otherwise... experience, learn, and better yourself from it.

Theres shootings all the time from where I'm at but the police dont go lock down the whole city. I dont remember the us being like this growing up wtf is happening. I dont agree with it and dont need to join the service or police force to realize I dont like being put at gun point for my own safety. Ill use whatever quotes I want.Cheerios lad.

I can promise you that in each and every single home they entered, they didn't care if someone had a bag of weed on the dresser or whatever. They weren't there to find any and every excuse to put people in jail. They were looking for two terrorists hiding out, possibly and probably armed, and they had to assume that the terrorists would coerce poeple into saying they weren't there by threat of force if the homeowner ratted them out. It's not an issue of the police taking the public's rights away. If you would have complicated that efforts by refusing them access simply because you thought the principle of that matter was more important than the lives that were ruined, and the lives of all those that would be ruined if those men were left to commit even more acts of that nature, then I hope you got a barrel screwed in your ear and a faceful of dirt when they put your dumb ass on the ground. You deserved it.

Involuntary search and seizure laws apply to your shit you're hiding from the cop who wants to put you in jail for it because you both know it's illegal and you've stashed it in your closet or whatever. Involuntary search and seizure laws don't mean that the cops can't ever search you; it only means they have to convince a judge that they think it's really there with some reasonable evidence. Like Nordic said in situations like this a judge CAN and WILL expedite a search warrant to encompass any place that a person may hide within the entire boundaries of that judge's jurisdiction. Any other illegal items that they may find that don't pertain strictly to the case in question (i.e. finding two fucking terrorists) cannot, and will not, be used for a criminal case at that time.

THAT is your right against unreasonable search and seizure.

Don't for a second think that in an emergency scenario like this you have the right to tell them they can't come in, should the worst happen and something like this happen in your hometown.

Yep, this infantryman used to be a cop.

By the way, all you alarmists talking about how those jack-booted thugs were busy kicking in doors and oppressing all those innocent people, go do some google searching for the photos of cops bringing food and drink and basic supplies to all the people who were stuck in their homes because of the lockdowns.

You guys act like cops are robots or something.

This thread is priceless, but I've learnt that in future I should refrain from commenting on anything other than UK issues or things which I have first hand experience of. To comment on anything else on an internet forum would be ridiculous, and would probably infringe on someone's rights.