Banhammer Forums

Would AR (Augmented Reality) tech be better as an implant, or a wearable accessory?

Orzene

The future seems to be working in the direction of digital HUDs that allow you to get information on the fly, removing the need for physical devices you carry in your pocket. I have my own hopes and qualms with the technology, personally, and though I might wear glasses to see, have them project images over my eyes seems like a bit much.

Here are my thoughts.

The pros:

-No longer needing to look down at a cell-phone to text or surf the web

-No longer needing to push-button commands to surf the web (I imagine they'll either have sensor strips to track brain impulses, or use various bodily movements to determine what commands you're issuing.)

-A quick way to determine information about your environment on the fly, like a restaurant. You could look at it and determine it's quality, it's hours, and even bring up an online menu to see what they serve.

The Cons:

-Distracting UI.

-If it's wearable, I imagine anything projected that close to your eye could cause major eye-strain if you're focusing on it the entire time.

-Possibly even WORSE attention deficit disorder. Driving down the highway, and you're scrolling through Amzon.com only to realize you weren't paying attention to the road, resulting in an accident. They'll probably need a 'driving mode' for these things, too.

-Possible malfunctions in contextual commands, creating a new generation of technologically stressed human beings.

-Costs in replacement could sky-rocket

This a short list, and I imagine you'll end up bringing your own Pros and Cons to the discussion here. I love the idea of Augmented Reality, but at the same time, there's a lot of foresight that needs to be given to this technology to make it safe, too.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the issue with physical impants... Updates. Imagine you get the Samsung Galaxy Oculus 4.0, and you love it and have it implanted for the $1000 plus cost and have it for the three months it takes Samsung to come out with the Samsung Galaxy Oculus 5.0 + Infrared... You are going to be pissed, because now you need a $1500 surgury ($500 to remove the 4.0, 1000 to put in the 5.0) plus however much the thing costs....

Also at a certain point your body gets sick of being scalpeled.

Wearable all the way.

I've done enough computer builds to know that no matter how much of a "standard" something is supposed to be...it won't be. "I'm going to get his motherboard because I'll be able to upgrade the RAM and CPU in the future." Sound great, but it never happens that way.

I am a sincere proponent of Trans-humanism. So long as I would have complete and sole control of any implanted augmentation. If the augs are going to be subject to ad placement or any non-voluntary interface I would stick to wearable only.

Yeah that would suck. Walking around with adverts popping up in your head. No thanks.

I didn't ask for this.

I lol'd. Sounds like a surefire shortcut to insanity.

Implants are all well and good (not really, it's an awful idea for anyone who values privacy at all) but what happens when your body up and completely rejects this awful shit you just installed in your face and that rejection leads to you getting all dead and stuff?

This shit happens with pacemakers and artificial hips and all sorts of things all the time.