Banhammer Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Orzene

My latest attempt wasn't as successful as I'd liked... Here is why.

As per N's previous post, and the subsequent image to follow, you can imagine I was going to try and push to release a 90 minute comic once more, but sadly, this time, I did not perform as well I would have liked. Here's the reason why:

I simply did not manage my phases very well this time. Rather than working directly into an ink layer, as with my previous attempt, I decided to setup separate layers and set up a sketch layer to create the initial art that would go into the comic itself. You've heard me say that 90 minutes isn't a lot of time to write, draw and touch-up a comic strip. Trust me, when you're grasping at the best straw from which to write from, it's not easy. Sure, you'll get a spark of imagination when creating a joke, but that's only if you're lucky. I'm not improv master, so I don't proclaim to throw out jokes on the fly. That's not really me. So when you're pressed to think up a coherent strip from a mad lib-style dual topic, the chains tighten and you feel like you're forcing the humor at times. This leads me now to my next point: I over developed my concept.

As you'll see below in my final product within the 90 minute mark, I may have overworked the concept a bit. The dialogue is something like this:

PANEL 1

ELF: Though we are surely appreciative of the kindness, in light of recent events, the reasoning for inviting us feels suspect.

SANTA: I do apologize, but had I not sent for you sooner, I fear you may have left without consequence.

PANEL 2

ELF: Without consequence? You make it sound as if we're of a criminal fault, good sir. - Surely you do not think we are guilty men.

PANEL 3

SANTA: It is not a question of guilt, but one of motive - As each of you has been equally naughty this past Eve!

SEE JPEG TO FOLLOW -->

null PA ELIMINATION CHALLENGE #6 --UNFINISHED--

The idea sort of spun out of control in a way that felt less a quick and dirty joke and more an elaborate narrative to which one only sees a fraction of within these 3 panels. Sure, there's humor there, but it's not quite relegated to a simple, 3-panel format. And yes, I'm a wordy bastard... not CAD-wordy, but wordy none the less.

Thirdly, I picked a more refined style to aim for. One that is not quick and to the point like my previous attempt, but rather something very much more like my regular comic style. Obviously, if I had gone with something simpler, I could have finished it most likely, but it was an honest mistake on my part.

I'll see about finishing this particular comic at some point in a more refine form, and let you see the intended end product at some point in the future, but for now, know that I will strive to work in the allotted time frame given for each challenge. I may have failed the contest, but this is still a good exercise.

Somebody's been reading Sherlock Holmes mysteries recently. :)

Not quite recently, but when I was still working in a factory environment, I decided to look him up on my Kindle app and muddle my way through the 12-hours as best I could.

I just now finished watching the latest Elimination episode, and I have to say... weird thought process for me I guess.

Here's a little map of the thoughts:

Mystery, Naughty

>

No fucking clue... SHIT!

>

Okay.. well, how about the poop angle?

>

Guy secretly poops on someone's door step, of whom turns it into a major topic of discussion with fellow housemates

>

Mystery abound

>

... Meh, not really a fan of poop jokes. Go for something classier

>

Mystery, Naughty

>

Sherlock Holmes

>

... Naughty ... Santa's naughty list ...

>

Sherlock Holmes meets Santa Claus

>

It's silly. I like!

>

Chosen theme: Murder of Mrs. Clause leads Santa to quit giving out gifts and take on a life of solving Christmas mysteries.

>

Reindeer with glasses and a corn-cob pipe

>

COMEDY GOLD!

And so there you have it. ;D

I'm going to miss Erika being on the show. She was one of my favorites. :[