Banhammer Forums

Best game of the past decade?

N

Let's not mince any words: I'm glad World of Warcraft exists. I truly had a blast with it and I'm glad it was so great that it inspired a bunch of other hopefuls. It just makes me sad that no one can think beyond the WoW box.

Speaking of that mount, I remember working all night (when no one was on to party with!) soloing quests and grinding to hit that level 20 mark. That march through Elwynn Forest was sooooo amazing! I'd made a fortune off copper in the auction house and had the money ready to go long in advance. Man, talk about a game that made you feel like a king.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for MMOs, I wound up in City of Heroes / City of Villains.

After a while that game seemed like it went beyond just a general Super Heroe thing and became a world filled with every genre. It was kind of crazy but fun.

I mean they made extra content to cater to everyone. A team could have a Superhero, a Fantasy Hero, a Ninja Warrior, a Wizard, a Dragon/Lizard guy, or a Cyborg/Robot.

Or people used the character designer to blatantly copy characters or even celebrities. I was on a team with Dick Cheney and I made a ripoff of Raiden from MK. He was damn cool to.

CoH was fun for a while but the 'extra' content got so big that it seemed like they were just throwing out the biggest net they could find and hoping that something stuck in it. That kind of turned me off. And I think EVERY SINGLE CoH player that joined the game made a rip-off character, lol! I probably spent more time in the character creation screens making different comic book and movie characters than I actually did in the game! That was definitely one thing that game got right, the character customization is completely unequalled even today.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

Between seeing your post the other day and Steam having a very wonderfully timed sale on all Star Wars titles I was able to pick this (and a few others of those Star Wars titles mentioned in this thread, and a few not mentioned here) up and start a play through again for the fun of it.

I have to go with Everquest. There is still to this day, no game that has ever compared for me. I used to get adrenaline rushes raiding in that game...and I've hardcore raided in several MMOs since then...all pale in comparison. I think that's why it died off the way it did...the game ended up catering to the hardcore raider and now they've been trying for years to maintain what few casuals they have left.

I still remember so many "OH SHIT" moments in that game. I played a warrior and sometimes the most dangerous aspect of a raid boss was the pull. When the boss was not fully debuffed and if it landed a lucky quad-hit, it would just fuckin' one-round you. Or our first ever server Avatar of War kill. Two guilds...some almost 120 people...zone almost crashing...still almost wiped...sphincter so tight it whistled through the entire fight.

Are there any other games that use essentially the same "engine" as CoH?

In some ways I agree it was a sprawling mess, but in other ways they achieved some really cool things.

I also spent a lot of time in the Character Creator, but when I did finally nail a design I liked I really enjoyed playing them in the game. It was fun as hell running my Raiden guy.

Also, the Master Minds in City of Villains were really different and I don't see that kind of thing often in gaming. I wound up using the Zombies.

In some ways when I look for new games I'm always looking for elements that CoH had. I do like that Max Payne 3 has a modest character design template with a variety of weapon loadouts.

I think part of EQ's success was the fact that it was very much a groundbreaker. There were many graphical MUDs that came before, and some very good ones, but they were almost all rather limited. EQ was a massive scale and did things in such a way that you KNEW that you were one tiny person in a HUGE game world. I remember starting my very first character and I truly felt like the proverbial 'babe in the woods'... and that character was a Wood Elf, which didn't help since you started OUT IN THE WOODS.

The punishment that came along with death (the xp penalty) meant that you didn't throw yourself haphazardly at foes the way that WoW does. You had to think things through. Know the fight, know your character's strengths and weaknesses and play them to the best of your ability. It was a winning mixture, and it rewarded success and punished failure. It was definitely fun.

Videodrome, I don't know if any games use the CoH engine, to be honest. :P

I have to go with Everquest. There is still to this day, no game that has ever compared for me. I used to get adrenaline rushes raiding in that game...and I've hardcore raided in several MMOs since then...all pale in comparison. I think that's why it died off the way it did...the game ended up catering to the hardcore raider and now they've been trying for years to maintain what few casuals they have left.

I still remember so many "OH SHIT" moments in that game. I played a warrior and sometimes the most dangerous aspect of a raid boss was the pull. When the boss was not fully debuffed and if it landed a lucky quad-hit, it would just fuckin' one-round you. Or our first ever server Avatar of War kill. Two guilds...some almost 120 people...zone almost crashing...still almost wiped...sphincter so tight it whistled through the entire fight.

Disqualified! EverQuest was released in 1999. I remember watching my dad play the beta.

Disqualified! EverQuest was released in 1999. I remember watching my dad play the beta.

You didn't say the release date had to be within a decade...I *STILL* play EQ to this day from time to time and didn't stop playing it hardcore until about 2004 which is clearly within the past decade :)

You didn't say the release date had to be within a decade...I *STILL* play EQ to this day from time to time and didn't stop playing it hardcore until about 2004 which is clearly within the past decade :)

Don't bend the rules, you know what I was going after!

Otherwise Master of Orion or X-COM would still qualify ;)

I still remember doing 40 man MC and Onyxia. Man those were the bittersweet days of raiding. I can honestly say those are the best moments in my MMO career (right next to a fleet of gal drops back in PS1).

I loved WoW whenever I played it (after each xpack). The game does does plateau after 3-4 months. My only gripe is that epics became more and more common like greens since classic WoW. I guess that is the nature of the beast.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot the Total War franchise. Medieval Total War (1 and 2) were such fucking awesome games. Months of addictive gaming to be had, another life sapper. I almost bought the new one the other day but I have to be careful what games I play because I can become a total zombie. I was playing LOTR War of The Ring (hardly a groundbreaking release) a couple of weeks ago and lost 3 days just like that. My girlfriend was not a happy bunny (but then when is she?).

• 2 weeks later...