Banhammer Forums
Sign in to follow this  
N

Best game of the past decade?

Half Life 2 in my opinion, but I'm biased.

There are a lot of games that you could make a solid argument for though depending on how you take the criteria. Resident Evil 4, Minecraft, Chaos Theory, Persona 4, Red Dead Redemption, Portal, Metal Gear Solid 3, Uncharted 2, Call of Duty 4, and more than I can list. So many awesome games.

Want to give a mention of the Star Wars: Battlefront series. Not deep on a campaign story, but I thought it was a helluva lot of fun to jump into Multiplayer on that game.

For it's time, Battlefront did not have any Leveling which is so common on today's games. It had the same Character Classes and Weapons for everyone. So no Veterans had a crazy advantage over noobies with an arsenal of unlocked weapons.

The only advantage was skill and in Battlefront 2 occasionally getting in as a Jedi/Sith.

It's a damn shame Battlefront 3 fizzled away in development hell.

I don't know. I have mixed feelings about Battlefield games, though I will say the Bad Company 2 campaign was really fun.

Something about Battlefield 3 doesn't work for me. One thing I liked about Battlefront is you could setup Offline sessions in the Multiplayer maps full of NPCs. Great way to get a feel for the game.

Not so much in Battlefield 3 when you get into a helicopter or jet with no idea how to fly it in a Live game. It won't impress your team when you crash.

Halo was the best. It's where I came from ;)

I led an SDTM clan for about 3 years, we did it ALL. Custom maps, configs, server utilities, admin tools, etc. Had easily the best game coders out there at the time developing stuff for us.

We don't all hate WoW. Maybe this will earn me some haters but I greatly enjoyed it for a long time. I simply got to the point where I didn't 'want' to play it. I moved past it. But I don't hate it, I have really great memories of my time on that game.

Yes I don’t hate wow either, it was genre changing, it just wore on me and I wasn’t having any fun. My one rule about games they are supposed to be fun, the moment I am not having fun I don’t play a particular game for a while, some I can go back to and enjoy again (halflife, fallout skyrim) others I try and they just don’t do it for me any longer(I rolled a panda, could not get past level 40, reminded me why I quit wow to begin with).

And as I understand it, getting to 40 now is like what getting to 20 was in 2005, when I mostly stopped playing. I remember that took a long-ass time, but buying that mount was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo rewarding, perhaps the biggest event in any MMO I'd played to that point or since. Now they just hand the stupid things out.

My wife still plays daily. According to her getting to level 40 is like what getting to level FIVE used to be like. She says they pretty much just hand you XP by the bucketload and they've drastically dropped the XP requirements. And yeah, they hand out mounts like fucking candy. I think my wife told me she was working on a triple-digit mount owner achievement.

I do agree that pretty much every fantasy style MMO since then has tried to copy it. On the justification side of that, the ones that have tried to go different directions have (largely) failed or have only done just well enough to barely stay afloat. None of them have had the groundbreaking, genre changing effect that WoW has had over the past decade.