Banhammer Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Videodrome

Stephen King's UNDER THE DOME comes to CBS

One of the previews I saw before Iron Man 3 was for this adaption of the Stephen King book Under The Dome which I recently finished reading. I thought the cause of The Dome itself was kind of blah, but I still enjoyed it as a character study. Also, in a weird way I thought of this book during the real life lockdown of Boston in the news after the marathon bombing incident.

Also, if anyone is thinking about a city under a dome and The Simpsons movie........

I'll be watching it as soon as I can.

Funny you should mention the character study because I thought the characters were pretty flat. No one had much of an arc. Big Jim is still Big Jim. Barbie is still BAAAARRRRRBIIIIIIIEEEEE by the end. I enjoyed it kinda despite itself at times. I liked how dire it got toward the end, even though, yeah, it had a silly conclusion.

That might be a main reason for me to check this show out. In fact, I want to look this up on IMDB and see who is in the cast.

Meh I looked and it barely has any info. I wondered who would play The Chef.

I'm not much of a novel reader, so Ill ask you guys.

Does King always make "blah" endings? Or do they just not translate to film well?

I mean, IT and The Stand were awesome miniseries until... crappy ending.

I've only read two of his books, but I'd say yeah. He takes the weird way out. It's not that you don't really see it coming, you could see some mad time-manipulating shit was going down in 11/22/63, but it seems the more leash he gets, the further he runs with it.

Nah, I'd say your analysis is just fine.

King is hit n' miss with doing that in endings. Strangely, I do think Under the Dome had a really blah ending in the book, so I'm wondering how they'll do this on TV.

In that case, I have the feeling King cared more about the situation of being in the Dome than the cause of it. That was probably true of The Stand to. That thing was a sprawling epic he was just looking for a way to end. I don't even know what to say about The Dark Tower.

I'm not much of a novel reader, so Ill ask you guys.

Does King always make "blah" endings? Or do they just not translate to film well?

I mean, IT and The Stand were awesome miniseries until... crappy ending.

He makes some fantastic stories, but then he gets 3/4's way through and goes 'oh shit, now I have to finish it somehow'.

I went to 9th and 10th grade at Steven King's high school in Maine. Small town. Most of my classmates' parents went to school with Steven King.

Pretty much everyone said the same thing about him. "He wrote stories a lot and had bags under his eyes all the time. And he was kinda weird." Exactly as you'd expect.