Banhammer Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FleshEatingZipper

First Impressions: PlayStation 4 vs. Xbox One – Who Fared Better?

Paying to play second-hand games, paying to play online, no exclusives... and you didn't favor sony still? Why are you xbox users such a huge tool?

Well, except it's not 1992 and I don't play second-hand games, my entertainment experience is better on Xbox, and there are 15 exclusives in the first year, so...

Thanks, ArielC. I've been away for a while, but it's comforting to come back and see that gamers are still lashing out at each other with the exact same rhetoric that they used years ago. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Thanks, ArielC. I've been away for a while, but it's comforting to come back and see that gamers are still lashing out at each other with the exact same rhetoric that they used years ago. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I heard it was a "blood bath" over at GAF. Hmm, I don't get it.

I heard it was a "blood bath" over at GAF. Hmm, I don't get it.

I tend to shy away from that kind of bickering, but from everything I've seen over there it's been pretty nutty since the conference.

Waits for prices.

I'm probably going to play XBox 360 until LIVE support drops or I just get tired of it. Afterward there is a good chance I'll go for a modest Desktop PC for gaming on some MMO.

I see a lot of people all over the net going wacky.

The most common, and funny, thing I see are people complaining that the XBOX will do poorly because they didn't show any games.

Umm... E3 is right around the corner. That's where they'll show games.

But they only mentioned that about 5.... maybe 6 times during the conference. So it could easily have been missed.

That's what I'm seeing, too. And the RAM thing, which is the only discernable difference between the hardware specs at this point.

For the RAM, aren't people getting mixed up by the kind of RAM and what it's used for?

From what I've seen around, the type of RAM mentioned for PS4 is mainly used for graphics cards. It processes instructions in a linear manner. One at a time. If the instructions for each step are similar, it's really really fast.

The One uses RAM that is general purpose. It can do a lot of different kinds of things at once and can transition between different kinds of calculations easily. But switching from one type to another is slower than something designed for a linear flow.

Count by twos to 100. You can do it pretty fast because you're doing a linear and straight forward calculation.

Now count by twos, do ABC's, and if spelling out the number has more letters than spelling out the letter in the alphabet, then say, "yay." It's slower.

It's not that kind of different, though. The PS3's RAM is actually considerably faster. The difference is that, like the 360, the Xbox has a 32MB cluster near the APU for a lot of super-fast access next to where the processing is actually happening. This closes the gap between the two consoles considerably, giving overall memory performance to Sony by a hair or two. The difference? Sony is going to pay a lot more for that GDDR5 RAM than Microsoft is going to pay for that 32MB bank.