Banhammer Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BraddersTheDog

What are you currently reading?

That's a long damn series. Did Jordan or any other writer complete that?

I can't imagine another writer digging through reams of Jordan's notes to figure out where this thing was going.

This is my first time reading it. Taking it one book at a time. Needed a break from sci fi noir so I decided on some classical straight up fantasy. Besides I am awaiting the next Game of Thrones and Harry Dresden novels.

House of Chains by Steven Erikson. The whole series is essentially a conflict between gods and mortals, and it's fucking awesome. The first book kinda just drops you in running, but once you get a feel for it all it's so worth it.

http://i.imgur.com/xvj7soh.jpg

(I initially simply image-posted it, but it's kinda big)

That's a long damn series. Did Jordan or any other writer complete that?

I can't imagine another writer digging through reams of Jordan's notes to figure out where this thing was going.

Was finished with book 14 "A Memory of Light" in January, and that's exactly what happened. Jordan was on record as saying that the last book (then 12) would be the last no matter if it was 2000 pages long and they had to invent a new binding method for it. Sanderson took over and wen't "lol nope", expanded it to 3 books, but he did a fantastic job.

House of Chains by Steven Erikson. The whole series is essentially a conflict between gods and mortals, and it's fucking awesome. The first book kinda just drops you in running, but once you get a feel for it all it's so worth it.

Are we talking Malazan Book of the Fallen? I've heard good things..House of Chains is Book 4 no?

Foundation by Isaac Asimov

So far there are an EXTREME number of Mass-Effect, Starwars and any space-odyssey game / movie references in it.

I honestly have to say this book is one of the best I have read in a very long time.

foundation-by-isaac-asimov-isbn-055.jpg

Are we talking Malazan Book of the Fallen? I've heard good things..House of Chains is Book 4 no?

Yup, House of Chains is book 4 in Malazan. Definitely recommended so far, but book 1 was a bit of a challenge. Erikson wrote it a decade before the rest, so it's rougher, and it really just drops you in and doesn't hold your hand. I was hooked by halfway through though because of that.

Finished The Game Players of Titan. The Earth is put up as collateral in a board game being played against telepathic aliens. The trick is for the humans to figure out how to bluff telepathic game players.

Next, I'm reading Time Out of Joint by Philip K. Dick. I love these kinds of reality bending sci-fi stories.

As the novel opens, its protagonist Ragle Gumm believes that he lives in the year 1959 in a quiet American suburb. His unusual profession consists of repeatedly winning the cash prize in a local newspaper competition called, "Where Will The Little Green Man Be Next?". Gumm's 1959 has some differences from ours: the Tucker car is in production, AM/FM radios are scarce to non-existent and Marilyn Monroe is a complete unknown. As the novel opens, strange things begin to happen to Gumm. A soft-drink stand disappears, replaced by a small slip of paper with the words "SOFT-DRINK STAND" printed on it in block letters. Intriguing little pieces of the real 1959 turn up: a magazine article on Marilyn Monroe, a telephone book with non-operational exchanges listed and radios hidden away in someone else's house. People with no apparent connection to Gumm, including military pilots using aircraft transceivers, refer to him by name. Few other characters notice these or experience similar anomalies; the sole exception is Gumm's supposed brother-in-law, Victor "Vic" Nielson, in whom he confides. A neighborhood woman, Mrs. Keitelbein, invites him to a Civil Defense class where he sees a model of a futuristic underground military factory. He has the unshakeable feeling he's been inside that building many times before.

timeoutjoint.jpg

Foundation by Isaac Asimov

So far there are an EXTREME number of Mass-Effect, Starwars and any space-odyssey game / movie references in it.

I honestly have to say this book is one of the best I have read in a very long time.

foundation-by-isaac-asimov-isbn-055.jpg

LAWL at references.

Finished The Game Players of Titan. The Earth is put up as collateral in a board game being played against telepathic aliens. The trick is for the humans to figure out how to bluff telepathic game players.

Next, I'm reading Time Out of Joint by Philip K. Dick. I love these kinds of reality bending sci-fi stories.

As the novel opens, its protagonist Ragle Gumm believes that he lives in the year 1959 in a quiet American suburb. His unusual profession consists of repeatedly winning the cash prize in a local newspaper competition called, "Where Will The Little Green Man Be Next?". Gumm's 1959 has some differences from ours: the Tucker car is in production, AM/FM radios are scarce to non-existent and Marilyn Monroe is a complete unknown. As the novel opens, strange things begin to happen to Gumm. A soft-drink stand disappears, replaced by a small slip of paper with the words "SOFT-DRINK STAND" printed on it in block letters. Intriguing little pieces of the real 1959 turn up: a magazine article on Marilyn Monroe, a telephone book with non-operational exchanges listed and radios hidden away in someone else's house. People with no apparent connection to Gumm, including military pilots using aircraft transceivers, refer to him by name. Few other characters notice these or experience similar anomalies; the sole exception is Gumm's supposed brother-in-law, Victor "Vic" Nielson, in whom he confides. A neighborhood woman, Mrs. Keitelbein, invites him to a Civil Defense class where he sees a model of a futuristic underground military factory. He has the unshakeable feeling he's been inside that building many times before.

timeoutjoint.jpg

Sounds good.

Finished "Time Out of Joint". Turns out a guy's skill at solving newspaper puzzles affected the fate of the world.

Next, I'm going to tackle yet another Philip K. Dick book called VALIS (Vast Active Living Intelligence System). (I helped a book store owner with fix some computer problems and I was literally paid in Philip K. Dick books)

VALIS is a story of a man, named Philip (same as the author), and his journey to find God with his alter-ego, Horselover Fat. Most of the story is a narrative that disguises a set of theological ideals established by Dick. The major subject of this narrative is spirituality, as both the protagonist, his alter-ego, and the author (who are all essentially one and the same) are ostensibly obsessed with several religions and philosophies, including Christianity, Taoism, Gnosticism, and even Jungian psychoanalysis. They are searching for a cure for what he believes is simultaneously both a personal and a cosmic wound.

The novel is the first in a trilogy (the final three novels written by Dick). It is followed by The Divine Invasion and The Transmigration of Timothy Archer.

Valis.jpg

VALIS is damn weird. The first half is really just meanders around and you wonder if it'll ever go anywhere. I suppose A Scanner Darkly does that to.

Then the characters all go see a fictional movie called Valis. The movie is low budget Sci-Fi and surreal like a David Lynch type movie that has shitloads of synchronocities with everything they've experienced and talked about up to this point.

Also, some of the imagery in the fictional movie Valis seemed familiar. One character has his eye change or explode and then he grows "New Eyes" plus a 3rd eye. Another character's head just explodes. This made me think of the David Cronenberg movie SCANNERS.

This is only halfway through the book so I have no idea where this is going.