Banhammer Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FleshEatingZipper

‘Man of Steel’ Review: Attention Deficit Superman

I saw this last night and I see the handling of the origin story in a different light. Snyder/Nolan broke away from the standard formula of baby is born, kid has difficult childhood, young adult has life changing experience, hero is born, and then ACTION.

Your title is apt as the movie is definitely aimed at the ADD crowd but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Where other films can feel like two films paste together this one goes straight into heart pumping unrelenting action and maintains homogeneity. There are lulls in the action in which we get to see the growth of Clark which parallels the evolution of Superman.

I'd give it 8 zips. I thought it rocked but I too would have liked more character development hopefully we will have our desires fulfilled in the next installment. I was concerned about Snyder directing but I think Nolan was able to reign him in enough to tell a good story without the usual cliched BS that we have seen in his previous films. This one deserves a franchise.

Also regarding how Clark knew about the ship he overheard two Canadian servicemen talking about a hush-hush thing discovered in Canadia that the U.S. and Canadians were working jointly. (Can't remember what was said exactly.)

For those that have not seen it yet look out for the easter egg homages to previous films they are subtle.

I want to see this and This Is The End soon.

I really want to see This Is The End as well but I fear that my Podunk theater will not carry it it. I will have to rent it.

We have two big theaters around here, it's pretty incredible. That's just the advantage of living near new development, though.

I saw this in Imax 3D so I favored the movie a bit more perhaps due to that. I loved most of the action scenes, and seeing Krypton at the beginning.

My father and I watched nearly every Superman movie together so It's almost like I had to see this movie anyway by default. I liked the movie.

That being said though there were some pretty hilariously Ironic parts. Like when superman rescues 2 people from a town-wide catastrophe while miles of buildings burn in the background. Granted he did JUST dawn his costume so maybe they'll fix his moral compass in the next Man of Steel?

Since we're going into spoilers here in the comments, I'll just divulge the part that utterly pissed me off: The scene where Pa Kent dies. In both Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman and Geoff Johns Braniac storyline, Pa Kent dies from a heart attack while Superman is out saving the world. The comics found a way to mine that death for all of its worth, because it shows Superman simply can't save everyone dear to him, particularly if he's out serving the greater good.

David Goyer pissed all over the character and wasted his death by killing him off in the first movie in a completely cheesy manner. Furthermore, they just wasted Kevin Costner, who was perfect for the part.

That's not the only thing I hated about this movie, but Pa Kent's death scene encapsulates everything I hate about this movie. David Goyer appears to have a vague idea of where to include emotional beats in his screenplays, but he has no idea how to write drama or memorable dialogue. He really needs someone with talent, like Christopher Nolan, looking over his shoulder at all times. Goyer is like George Lucas minus the ability to come up with his own ideas.

*SPOILER ALERT*

lawl at the Lucas reference. -agree

I have never read ANY Superman comics (Marvel X-Men fanboi) so I do not have any hang-ups about Superman canon. I think that scene worked well because it showed Clark the definition of 'sacrifice', the sacrifice of one's self for the greater good. Clark is neigh on an immortal god in scope and witnessing his dad risk his life to save a 'lessor' life form and then give up his life to protect his godlike son has a phenomenal influence on Clark. Imagine if he told Clark to go to the rescue regardless of the consequences and the lesson that he would learned from that.

I was disappointed. The movie was okay. But I was expecting something amazing.

Character development was really poor. I didn't care about anyone.

Other than the action sequences, it all felt bleh. Like you're watching a movie while totally numb from pain killers.

I felt the movie was lacking in the characters. You know after watching many TV shows, movies and comics I just "felt" that the characters weren't the same. But on the other hand it did give a better and more in depth destruction of Krypton as many others just said "Natural Disaster."

We talk about it on the new N5 Show. I'd give it a 7. I didn't like how jumbled and uneven things were, but I really liked the things they did to Superman to limit him. This new movie feels a million times bigger than the old ones, so Superman feels nearly insignificant at times and that's great.