Banhammer Forums
Videodrome

PACIFIC RIM

When it comes to Sci-Fi movies in 2013, this is the main event I've been waiting for. I'm just a fan of big destructive machines and robots ever since ED-209, or the AT-AT Walkers in Star Wars, or even Transformers. By the way, I felt Del Toro handled this kind of movie much better than Michael Bay did Transformers. Actually, even Real Steel was better than Michael Bay IMO. In a way, Del Toro's "Jaegers" did remind me of the Real Steel robot boxers which is a good thing because I thought that movie was surprisingly well done.

I remember Real Steel being dismissed by many people because the premise was to absurd. Hopefully, not to many people dismiss Pacific Rim the same way. Del Toro really bring his game here with the design and FX of the Jaegers and Kaiju. Also, I think this movie kept a good balance between pacing and characters which is something I think Zack Snyder movies struggle with every time.

Another movie Pacific Rim honestly reminds me of a little bit is Starship Troopers, but with out the media satire and boot camp stuff. Again, here is an alien threat that requires a massive military effort to fend off. Also, like the bugs in Starship Troopers the Kaiju are frequently thrashed around or dismembered by the Jaegers pounding them to jelly.

Otherwise, I know there are other influences in this movie I'm not familiar with. I never did get into Macross or Robotech or Evangelion, but I think while Del Toro carefully avoiding mimicking the looks of those shows he was inspired by them. I might even look into "Mecha Fiction" on my Kindle now because of this movie.

Isn't Pacific Rim a "Godzilla" movie because of the "Kaiju" which I though were the alien name for the monsters from "Godzilla."

Edit: Ok so I just Goggled it the Kaiju thing is just a word for large monster which mean anything. I just found it too coincidental that Godzilla used them now Pacific Rim are too.

Pacific Rim looks like it's going to be a blast. I'm definitely signing up for a SuperTicket so I can watch it at the theatres and at home. The price is actually quite reasonable as well, and there are other perks.

Godzilla is now probably my favorite American-made film now with Pacific Rim at a close second

Pacific Rim was a pleasant surprise!

I went to the movie with a friend and we both had very low expectations. We figured it would be your usual "B" movie. We thoroughly enjoyed it though! It had it's cheesy moments, but was an overall good movie.