Banhammer Forums
Videodrome

Unix Laptop: Achievement Unlocked

I'm not sure why I even sunk so much time into this. Initially, it was curiosity. Something about making obscure technology work again on modern equipment. Maybe out of that I was wondering if I would see a performance boost.

From experience, I have seen a performance boost on my NetBook from using Linux. My netbook originaly came with WinXP and Linux is far faster and more stable. I thought it might be interesting to see how the BSD split off the old Unix handled. I'm also studying computer security and supposedly Unix offers advantages in that area as well. I could not quite get it working right on my Netbook, but it seems to be okay so far on my Laptop which is what I'm typing on now.

When this first started, I grabbed FreeBSD which turned out to be a messy scenario of building up a system starting from command line and installing the Xorg window manager. I looked at DragonFlyBSD which seemed be an extreme Server system. Virtual Kernels WTF.

I finally got a good solution with PC-BSD which is FreeBSD with a prepackaged desktop. In fact, you have a choice of desktops from Gnome, KDE, LXDE, and Xfce. I chose the lite weight Xfce. I do think the Midori web browser is weird so I'll replace it later.

dpisotopebanner2.png

I can see everyone is excited about Unix lmao.

But seriously aside from that, this old shit Windows XP laptop is now overhauled and running KDE desktop. So basically, this is almost like having a free Mac OSX that isn't quite as polished but still a nice machine. I can just imagine how well it would work on a brand new laptop.

Also, I dumped PCBSD and went back to FreeBSD and got everything running.

To me... Free UNIX is like model trains as a hobby. The fun is putting it all together and getting it working. Once you have it working the fun is over. Linux is the same way if you are compiling you own executables.

Maybe you're right, because I went back to Linux.

I do still think that was a good learning experience and I should stay aware of things like Unix and Pfsense. I'm thinking though FreeBSD is really more of a Desktop or Server system and not so great for mobile Laptops or Netbooks.

I had Ubuntu on my eee pc as a dual boot. Worked perfectly until my wife dropped it :( . I was surprised at how easy it was. The last time I had Linux on a laptop was 14 years ago (Slackware). It worked but was a pain to keep current.