Banhammer Forums
Sign in to follow this  
N

Let's talk about Prometheus

I love these videos. And this review didn't even catch the one that bugged me the most. Just how the hell is someone going to get up from the table and walk around after having their abdominal muscles completely severed. I pulled an intercostal muscle once and I could barely get out of bed for two weeks. No freakin way she could even get off that operating table.

Ha, yeah, it's obvious that the logic holes cropped up over the number of script drafts and then, well, Lindelof. But whatever, love that movie more than I probably should and I DON'T EVEN CARE!!!

Dr. Shaw is just a tough lady.  Either that or they have some awesome drugs in the future.

One thing I wondered though is where the hell David got that Ladder.  I swear one day this scene came up for shooting, Ridley Scott didn't have his coffee and was ticked off, said "Fuckit give him a ladder to get up there."

I thought Vicker's character was kind of a waste finished off with a silly cartoon death scene.

I was dismayed seeing Fifield and then Dr. Holloway basically becoming Space Zombies.  I suspect something better than that was planned and the FX fell short of what Scott wanted.  I mean having them mutating could be cool if it was similar to the Species movies or at least had an H.R. Giger influence.

As for the good, I thought Michael Fassbender did one of the best ever portrayals of an android and his Viral Market youtube clip was great. 

I thought the reveal of the Space Jockey explained very little, but was still very cool.  I don't mind it still being a mystery. 

Also, as an expedition encountering bizarre life forms they are not equipped to deal with, it did kind of remind me of THE THING.  Oddly enough, if Fifield and Holloway and mutated as much as THE THING, I do think it would have contributed a lot to the movie.  Or possibly, aim for FX comparable to The Fly. Or Altered States.  I mean damnit so many classic Sci-Fi/Horror movies were more original in shocking memorable transformations. 

Otherwise, the cinematography was insanely good and also the set design.  Visually a really well done movie and I'm glad i saw it in the theater. 

Erm. My main issues were with some decisions made by characters. They were so impulsive.

The android dude (who I thought was an awesome character) decides to start opening doors before people have even discussed what might be behind them. Seriously? You're on a fucking alien planet, take some time, there's no rush.

The captain of the ship at the end decides to crash it into the alien ship to save humanity. Where is the emotional turmoil? Films like Armageddon made a film out of such decisions.

It's like:

"You need to stop that ship getting to earth"

"OK, no problem"

**CRASH**

What the fuck just happened?

Anyway, there were various other points I found bizarre, but all in all I really enjoyed it. I watched it with my gf who said "I won't be watching that again". I completely disagree with her. I think it will make for excellent second time viewing. And that android dude was really quite fascinating.

I honestly didn't mind some of the weird motivations because the movie is so full of unanswered questions that they just kinda fell in line. Why was David malicious? What did David say to the Engineer that set him off? Why did the Engineer chase after Shaw? That may be largely why I enjoyed it: it didn't need to spend a bunch of time explaining itself, which is a trap sooooooo many sci-fi films fall into (I'm looking at you, Duncan Jones) to try and make people feel at ease about their strange universe.

Also, film is so fucking gorgeous. We saw it at the Arclight in Hollywood and it was the most incredible thing.

Dr. Shaw is just a tough lady.  Either that or they have some awesome drugs in the future.

Ok fine, she's freakin Rambo Van Damme Schwarzenegger! It doesn't change the fact that her abdominal muscles were completely severed. She's not going anywhere, she wouldn't even be able to roll herelf off the table, much less get up. No amount of stitches or staples is going to change that. It's like trying to pull a car with a rope, and then someone cuts the rope in half. It's not going to move.

This is just one of many, many problems I had with the film. No amount of eye candy will fix it for me.