Banhammer Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Videodrome

RIDDICK ???

I have never seen the movie Pitch Black which is what I think where the Riddick character originally came from.  I have however seen Chronicles of Riddick which I thought was a decent kinda Sci-Fi / Fantasy genre movie. 

I wondered if anyone more familiar with Riddick is seeing this movie or can fill in other people on what the broader Riddick universe is about.

I actually really like the Chronicles of Riddick. I saw it and the concept and style of movie just kind of worked for me. Those semi-strobe type scenes are awesome.

Although it was the wrong order, I then went on to watch Pitch Black, but I found it quite forgetful. I just couldn't really get into it.

I'll definitely be seeing Riddick at the cinema though.

Incidentally, when I first saw the chronicles, I flat out assumed that it must have been based on a novel and was shocked to learn that it isn't.

You can't watch Pitch Black for the first time within the context of Chronicles of Riddick. They are completely different movies. Pitch Black was a great movie. At the time, Vin Diesil was still an emerging actor that few people knew about. The creators of Pitch Black accidentally created this super popular badass anti-hero that all of a sudden the fans were wanting more of. So Hollywood saw dollar signs and pushed through Chronicles of Riddick, which was a completely different movie than Pitch Black.

Chronicles of Riddick is an action flick. Pitch Black is a horror/suspense movie. They really can't be compared.