Banhammer Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Videodrome

Grand Theft Auto 5?

I have actually never played any Grand Theft Auto game.  I suspected they were a little overhyped because the violence allowed or encouraged in the game. 

However, I'm starting to get curious about GTA5 and wondered if anyone here has played it.  I think I started to take Rockstar Games more seriously when I got Max Payne 3 which I still play.  It looks like GTA5 has very similar game mechanics, so I'm wondering if it will be like an Open World Max Payne but minus the Bullet Time.

Sort of yes. If you haven't played any, you probably should.

However, I got bored of GTA style games quite a while ago to be honest. Each release just felt like the same game rehashed..the same sorts of missions, the same sort of side missions, the same game mechanics, slightly varied custom character options etc. I just stopped enjoying them really.

I played some multi-player, but it was ages ago.

It was actually good fun. I can't remember what sorts of missions there were, but I do remember having an awesome time when me and loads of friends got on a bus and drove it down the street murdering people (other players), so I guess that sort of answers your question. I do know the new release is meant to have loads of online missions which will probably be pretty good to play with friends, but that's about all I've got for you.

This might be a ridiculous question, but does this game have the option of playing as a Good Alignment?  Or is everyone a criminal? 

When I look at this game at a glance, I'm tempted to think of playing a character like the movie Hobo with a Shotgun and go after the other "Bad Guys". 

Every character is a bad guy. There are small side missions that allow you to chase down someone who steals money and you have the option to return it or keep it. Other than that you can not run people over or kill citizens if you want to feel good about yourself :)

Well.... off line I figure you constrained by the missions.  I haven't played GTA online before so I wasn't sure how that worked.  Is that basically a choice between Co-Op Mission or Open World Mayhem? 

I was thinking off how other games like EVE run. You can be Legit or you can be basically a Space Pirate.  I suppose the GTA-verse most people would be criminals, but I wondered if you could try being a sort of Good Guy like a vigilante.

I dunno.... I'm weird and sometimes like to play against a game;s design.  I frequently break out of stealth in Splinter Cell: Conviction (Deniable OPs) by throwing bodies off of balconies directly into a crowd just to make the NPCs freakout.

You can't play against being a criminal. There is no "chaotic good" or neutral. It's all evil and reprehensible. You just hafta enjoy it despite your evil tendencies.

Well.....   I figured since I like Max Payne 3 and this GTA5's game mechanics look similar, I figured I would like it so I finally picked it up yesterday.  So far, it's an insane amount of Open World exploring plus missions and I'm curious to see what XBox Live will add to it. 

I kind of wish Max Payne 3 could go open world, but it's current Multiplayer is still fun to. 

One of the first things I did in GTA is just punch out someone on the sidewalk.  Then I heard commotion and an ambulence showed up.

Then I stole the ambulance lol. 

I did a "Good" random thing though.  There was a nearby event where an innocent guy was being robbed.  I ran over the robbers with my car and then took all their money.  That was a couple thousand bucks to.  A cop followed me on foot a little bit but he did not attack me.

GTAOnline just started today, well, a few hours ago. It's... bad right now.

I was actually surprised at how much of Max Payne 3's DNA is in this game as far as the action and presentation go.

I used to like arming up with the cheats on San Andreas. Then going and hiding under a bridge (so the choppers can't shoot you) and ripping shit up for as long as possible, mainly using the mini-gun and rocket launcher. Good times. Student times.

Causing havoc is more fun here because you have better guns to pull it off with. Still fragile as hell.

Played online. Not enough players, yo.

I walked up to drivers with Michael and insulted them until they flip out with road rage and take off or crash. 

lol

Reminds me of my favourite pass time on Assassin's Creed. Inject some guards with poison, then throw coins at them and watch pepole run over to pick the coins up and get slashed up by the guards who are flailing around with their weapons.

Never. Gets. Old.

Messing with NPCs is a weird guilty pleasure.  I dunno why. 

I caused enough mayhem that cops showed up and shot one of the drivers. 

I also saw a random person off the street steal the ambulance.

What is really crazy though is to grab the Firetruck and blast the police with the water cannon.

There are a few.  I wandered by a gas station somewhere and found I could walk in.  I was prompted that I could point the gun at him and rob him so he emptied the register. 

I tried this a second time somewhere and it glitched.  The clerk just stood there like he didn't know I was there.  So I went behind the counter and shot him.