Banhammer Forums
eSwags

Windows 7 or 8?

My understanding is that Windows 8 - in some configurations - can be a serious ram whore (even more so than 7).

So keep that mind when setting it up and make sure to avoid the 'fancy' desktop themes.

With Windows 8, Microsoft is trying to converge the user experience of desktop computers with touch screen mobile devices. The concept is not bad, but Microsoft has never been a very good software creation company, they just never had the leadership for it. They are a software production and distribution company that is trying desperately to stay relevant now that they missed the boat on mobile devices. Windows 8 can be configure to be a good system, but I have neither the time or patience to do that. Windows 7 does everything I need (for gaming).

With Windows 8, Microsoft is trying to converge the user experience of desktop computers with touch screen mobile devices. The concept is not bad, but Microsoft has never been a very good software creation company, they just never had the leadership for it. They are a software production and distribution company that is trying desperately to stay relevant now that they missed the boat on mobile devices. Windows 8 can be configure to be a good system, but I have neither the time or patience to do that. Windows 7 does everything I need (for gaming).

This.

This is +1.

Hmm.. alright Dukaht, if you didn't have an windows 7 key to transfer to a new computer would you go ahead and get windows 8?

I don't quite understand the question, I think I don't understand the motivation behind it, but I'll try to answer.

I used Windows XP until a year ago. I was unsure about Windows 7 (definitely knew I didn't want Windows Vista) so I just watched and listened to friends' experiences. Then when I built my computer in December of last year, I bought an OEM Windows 7 Pro for it. You can get it for about $70. I'm pretty happy with Windows 7 and I don't see myself using 8 anytime soon, if ever.

Did that answer your question?

Yes i suppose it does, thankyou Dukaht.

@N

Windows 8 can be configure to be a good system, but I have neither the time or patience to do that. Windows 7 does everything I need (for gaming).

So for all of you running Windows 7. 64 bit or 32 bit?

I have been running 64 bit Vista since RC2 and other than some issues with hardware drivers early on, havent had any serious issues.

Any reason not to go 64 bit for W7 ?

64 bit.  No reason not to.  I've been running 64 bit for the last 6 years or so and have had essentially no problems.  Most of the problems disappeared with the transition from XP 64 to Vista 64 as the new driver model required manufacturers to re-write their drivers and so they made real drivers for the 64 bit systems.

On the question of 7 vs 8 for a desktop machine, if I were getting a new system with no transfer of one of my 7 licenses, I would go with 8.  It takes some configuration but is a better OS under the hood.  If I had a 7 key to transfer, I would use that.

On one of these threads somewhere I wrote my thoughts on Windows 8...

But to answer the real question, 64-bit all the way. As Carson mentioned, 64 bit has been largely supported since Vista. That was the first retail release of 64bit Windows. Modernly...32bit only has the advantage if you use 16bit apps...

As for Windows 8...I'm using 8.1 without any crazy settings adjustments. Getting used to a different "start menu" is the only major hurdle. There are many technical improvements that sold me on it. Faster boot up time, great performance, fantastic power-user tools...

Plus, if you use the Microsoft eco-system (which, as a google fanboy, I have to admit is sweet) you'll love 8 even more.