Banhammer Forums
Dukaht

Largest-Yet EVE Battle Destroys $200,000 Worth of Starships

Seeing so many ships get destroyed is pretty in a somewhat sad way.  Just thinking about all the man-hours that went into building each component of each ship, and then assembling it all, going up in smoke makes the little industrialist in me cringe.

Yeah I feel the same way, of split opinion. It is somewhat sad to see people's time, work and energy go away. But it also makes room for growth. I will be interesting to see what powers move in to fill the void.

Yeah, Bradders. It's like a big deal. EVE is basically the only game that freely trades between in-game and real world currencies, and the value of those vessels, if translated into real world currencies, is exorbitant by all measures. That's not to say that all those were purchased with IRL money, but the translation is what is looked at. It was also one of the largest conflicts in any game history, which when you factor in the number of players on opposing sides from the smallest ships up to the biggest titans involved, contained over 2200 players. Imagine that many people in a single match of CoD or BF4 or something. It was an epic battle on the scale of the fall of Troy or the siege of Leningrad. It was a player-made in-game event of such scale and impact that moved the game devs to alter the game itself and place a titan graveyard at that location so that anyone who came along after would see the aftermath of what happened.

So basically you have 2200 people, that makes expenditures roughly $100 each.

Come back when you have a million dollar battle!

Some more then others, but yeah. And don't think it won't happen! :D