Banhammer Forums
11Bulletstopper

Memorial Day Weekend

Hey folks, I just wanted to put in a message about the Memorial Day weekend we're heading into. For most people, Memorial Day is more of a 'national barbeque day' than a day to remember our veterans. Be aware, as you go through your day and your weekend, and you get your party on, that we are able to do so solely by the sacrifice of our neighbors, family, friends, and heroes; those who pick up a weapon and stand up in the face of evil. I know that some folks probably don't agree with the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan, but know that there are very evil men who would kill you, your parents, brothers and sisters, your children, simply because we were born in a different country than them. I am a firm believer in the adage "All that is required for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing".

The image here are the soldiers from my very own unit who were killed on my last deployment. Six of the eleven were from my company alone. Know that these men laid down their lives, and left their families behind, to ensure that we are able to enjoy the freedoms that we have.

This is only a snapshot. These are only the men from my unit who gave their lives. This does not include the many more from all branches who have paid the ultimate price for freedom. This does not include the men and women I know, the countless I don't, who have left arms, legs, blood and guts, and even pieces of their souls on foreign soil.

We play a series of games that glorify warfare, make light of combat, bloodshed, and killing. Sometimes it's easy to overlook the horrors of real war, the devastation that a real battlefield can bring. Remember that as we play, guys. Say a prayer for those who came before, those doing it right now while we enjoy a weekend, and those that will be there in the future.

"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots."

Soda, Buzz, Ira, Hardin, Bolen, and Hizon, you guys are dearly missed.

10303734_10152478552159083_8818295587877

If you're in the service, or if you have been in the past, or if you know someone who fought and died for us, I encourage you to post a picture of them here. If you don't have a pic, say a few words. Let this be our chance to honor them, at least in our own small way, our chance to remember them and ensure that their sacrifices aren't forgotten.

As most of you know I was never in the military so I don't have any stories to share of comrades who were killed in action.  

What I do have, however, is a deep appreciation for those who have served and those who continue to serve.  

My father was a Green Beret in Vietnam who was involved in the battle of Ia Drang valley (the same battle that was the subject of the movie "We Were Soldiers") from which he received a purple heart.  My grandfather was a marine in WWII, working on troop transports with the Navy.  

It is surreal to think that if anything had happened to either of them, I would not be here.  My sister would not be here...

I am lucky in that I have never had a family member die in action and for that I give thanks.  I also give thanks to those who have sacrificed their lives in the line of duty, in pursuit of the freedom that so many of us take for granted.

This memorial day, I'll tip a glass for them and give them a personal moment of silence.  

And for those of you in ODIN who are current or former military: Thank you.  Thank you for everything you have done for me and for millions of others like me.  May your service never be forgotten.

As most of you know I was never in the military so I don't have any stories to share of comrades who were killed in action.  

What I do have, however, is a deep appreciation for those who have served and those who continue to serve.  

My father was a Green Beret in Vietnam who was involved in the battle of Ia Drang valley (the same battle that was the subject of the movie "We Were Soldiers") from which he received a purple heart.  My grandfather was a marine in WWII, working on troop transports with the Navy.  

It is surreal to think that if anything had happened to either of them, I would not be here.  My sister would not be here...

I am lucky in that I have never had a family member die in action and for that I give thanks.  I also give thanks to those who have sacrificed their lives in the line of duty, in pursuit of the freedom that so many of us take for granted.

This memorial day, I'll tip a glass for them and give them a personal moment of silence.  

And for those of you in ODIN who are current or former military: Thank you.  Thank you for everything you have done for me and for millions of others like me.  May your service never be forgotten.

Damn strait - never served, but have a lot of friends that did.

Grateful every time they come home but fully aware that not everyone is so lucky.

Perpetually grateful to those that did put their lives on the line for our freedoms.