Banhammer Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

Why have I never heard of Turbografx-16?

I heard of it before the Wii came out, since it was featured on the Virtual Console. I got 6 different games for it, though two are shoot'em ups and two are pinball games (the other two are Bonk's Adventure and Bomberman '93). It was called the PC Engine in Japan.

There really are a LOT of consoles that tried to make headway in the market back in the day. TurboGrafx is just one example of a console that, like others, died in the maelstrom of the gaming market.

Now we're getting a re-release of the Neo Geo, and though it's an older system, the outward case design looks sleek, especially for the portable Neo Goe that looks like a black iPhone

neo.jpg

By the way, the console was like $700 dollars at the initial release, and cartridges were $100 plus dollars, back in the 90's... And you thought Sony was gorging with the initial PS3 release.

I'm actually surprised Sega lasted as long in the console market at they did... The Genesis add-ons were atrocious, and released so late in the game that everyone barely remembers them, with the new release of the Sega Saturn.

I remember the 32X released and I had one friend with a Sega CD. He brought Sewer Sharks to class and we "listened" to it since it was Redbook format. I know a lot of Neo Geo cartridges went for $200-$300, which is madness.

Old topic here, but I had a TG-16 with the CD add on.

It was actually a GREAT system. I saved up for an entire summer doing odd jobs to get it and to me, it was worth every penny of the $400 I spent on it. There were some really great titles for it as well. Splatterhouse, Star Soldier, Alien Syndrome, Bonk's Adventure, Ninja Spirit, etc.

My absolute favorite though, was the only CD game I got: YS Book I$II by Nihon Falcom. The art for the cut-scenes was fantastic for the time and the voice acting and sound quality were unreal. Combined with a story that made you actually care about the character and his journey and some pretty cool gameplay mechanics, it was a formula for awesome. Lot's of great memories there.

The controller config was very similar to the Nintendo controller of yore but had the added awesomeness of built in turbo functionality. (3 levels) It was comfortable to use for a decently long gaming session and I never had issues with them. The only complaint I had over all was that their use of a PC type connector made things frustrating since the connections to the console were a bit iffy over time.

Anyhow, that is my take on the Turbo Grafx-16 system. Lots of memories, but just doesn't hold up anymore. Still some fun games in the library though if you can get them on an emulator or something like PSN/XBLA.