Banhammer Forums

Does AdBlock impact websites more than we think?

Orzene

This is just something I'm curious of, in the fact that I was watching a YouTube VLOG where I guy was discussing a 6-second contest entry, and his reasons for removing ads from video. In turn, he popped in an annotation about how AdBlock essentially stops support for videos, effectively creating a monetary loss for content creators. I'm not one to judge how the internet does business. Ads are ads, and it's become such a part of the way we monetize this web of data that has no tangible worth outside of digital content.

I did a little searching and came across a few articles on how much poor an idea AdBlock is for websites.

What happens if you use AdBlock?

Now, if we say that each person on the internet provides earnings for websites equal to 5 dollars amonth, the 20 million people using AdBlock would be responsible for internet companies losing 100 million dollars every month. That is a gigantic amount of money. And all this is thanks to an application, people download because they find little banners mildly annoying. This annoyance is quite understandable, but considering the huge losses the internet suffers because of AdBlock, it probably isn't such idea to use it.

You may be thinking something along the lines of "It doesn't make a different if I just use it. I'm just one person." But think of it this way: When you use it and recommend it to your friends, they will start using it, too. Then they tell their friends, and you've started a chain.

If just 20% of the internet users in the world started using AdBlock, you would seriously begin to see websites disappearing, and content creators would stop creating content because they wouldn't make any money any longer.

For example, I wouldn't be writing this article because I wouldn't be able to make money from the ads that are displayed here.

To sum up, AdBlock is basically destroying all the principles of the internet.

Please beware that if you use AdBlock, you are not supporting the internet probably. It is your own choice if you want to use the application, but you remove your support to all the free things you love and use everyday by doing so.

Some have gone as far as saying the adBlocker is another form of 'Piracy' the way we consume content without compensating creators for their content. It seems absurd to me to call it straight Piracy, rather than just saying that 'you're defeating the purpose of adverts and a semi-free web to begin with.'

This is just my curiosity speaking, but I want to know what you guys think. I know most anyone would say they'd just as well turn off the TV and skip the advertisements, the way we're producing such stupid 'attention grabbers' these days.

In closing, here's a video clip...

• 11 months later...

This is my thought on it.

It sucks that people use ad blockers because it does make you lose money. But I understand why people have ad blockers. If ads were beautifully integrated into the website, not intrusive by making noise or pop-ups/unders or being tricked into clicking something then people wouldn't be bothered by the ads.

But since that is such a huge problem because websites started getting greedy they block them. Google's terms say you can't have more than 3 image ads on a page. We have 4 ads per page and I like to think they are out of the way.

Now take a look here: http://www.kktv.com/

This local news website has 15 ads on the front page. 15! That shit is cray.

I don't think AdBlock was created to deprive web sites of advertising dollars, our site's revenue is based on per-click ad revenue and paid editorials, but rather to mollify how vicious ads used to be. Pop-ups, auto-playing flash ads (which, unfortunately, still slip through here), and other experiences like that kill the site experience. I remember when I was a Newgrounds regular and I'd have to kill two pop ups every time I switched pages, but that was how they made money. That's how everyone made money at the turn of the century.

AdBlock hasn't greatly affected our numbers, that we can tell, but I think people using it in droves can certainly deprive a small company like ours the necessary funds to build or thrive.

Well, if you need the ads to survive, then your content must be something worthwhile. Therefore, you could pull off a nifty maneuver like Hulu does and not display the content until the ad has been displayed. Requires some extra backend code but if people want to see it, they will disable Adblock.

FYI: I'm an avid user of Adblock Plus because quite franky I'm tired of waiting 35 seconds for some advertiser to load their ads on a page that was done loading 34,000 milliseconds ago.

OH trust me, I get the ad loading thing. When I went ad-free on Newgrounds, things went so much faster. Kelly's been experimenting with sequential loads for a while to make FEZ load faster and faster while only running off a single piece of hardware.

Well, if you need the ads to survive, then your content must be something worthwhile. Therefore, you could pull off a nifty maneuver like Hulu does and not display the content until the ad has been displayed. Requires some extra backend code but if people want to see it, they will disable Adblock.

FYI: I'm an avid user of Adblock Plus because quite franky I'm tired of waiting 35 seconds for some advertiser to load their ads on a page that was done loading 34,000 milliseconds ago.

I hate intersential ads, the ones that show before the page loads. I will click away from a site that pulls that on me most of the time.

We load the ads after the content is loaded but yeah sometimes ads are slow loading.

• 9 months later...

How about we move away from this culturally ingrained assumption that people have a right to advertise at me. I despise this way of thinking, that you must take what you deserve from the consumer. Why not pursue a system, as an increasing number of musicians are, of letting them donate when you've helped them?

If you're going to respond to this with arguments grounded purely in economics, please understand that economics fails to consider such a wide swath of life that it is largely defunct. Imagine building economics that doesn't take into consideration such difficult to measure concepts as 'view'. It's been a long time since I studied this, so I don't have an arsenal of academic terminology to hand, but in short...

George Carlin:

Or, in shorter:

Bill Hicks :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo

You've been taught that advertising is necessary / good. It isn't. Give me your login to sciencedirect and I can tell you why far more eloquently.

Online advertising currently functions like billboards in cities. It isn't necessary:

http://www.onthemedia.org/2007/apr/20/clearing-the-air/transcript/

Does it not ring alarm bells that our visions of dystopian futures are the ones filled with advertising?

Seriously, Ad people should give us incentives to want to see or even click on ads.

Consider how many MMO-RPG type games have in-game currency and spending? What if you click on an ad that also gives you a code to redeem for spacebucks or whatever in EVE Online? Or money to spend in WoW? Or instead of money let people redeem Ad Codes for special limited time weapons. Like a Super Magic spell with just 5 charges until it runs out.

Or god helpus.... you click on a Nike ad and you can redeem a code to have your RPG guy wearing Nike gear. It might be trading Ads for Product Placement Hot Topic Hell, but it would encourage Ad clicking.

What if there was a cross promotion between Flesh Eating Zipper, Ad Clicking, and any of the Game Servers like Mine Craft? If somehow Unique User Ad clicks could be tracked and rewarded with bonus game content. This is probably not practical for FEZ to take on alone, but the advertising industry should be innovating and providing new ideas like this.

Online advertising currently functions like billboards in cities. It isn't necessary:

For FEZ to exist, we need ads. Ads create the most frictionless way to support sites. The internet is built on it.

Get over it or hand us dollars.