Banhammer Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FleshEatingZipper

‘Halo 4′ Review: Let Go Of The Legacy

Whoever "N" is, he/she knows absolutely nothing about halo 4. Pre-rendered cutscenes, for example? There's nothing prerendered about them at all. You likely played with your TV on minimum brightness, on easy difficulty and with no sound/subtitles if this is your final conclusion.

Bro, you have no idea what you're talking about. They are pre-rendered through and through. It's why they're so much more detailed and smooth than the in-game assets are.

Same old Halo? Of course it is that's why everyone wants it and plays it. Halo should be Halo. What did you expect that you were gonna be able to kill dragons and use powers. We don't want it to change just continue the story that has took hold of us from the beginning the Halo universe is one of the best storylines ever made into video games. You probably go to blockbuster and expect that they now sell furniture.

No, what I expect is something more epic out of such an epic universe. They have so many directions they could've taken it and they resorted to the same ol' same ol'. That's just not acceptable.

N, What direction did you expect them to take? Not being sarcastic here, genuinely curious. To me, the direction they took, including the narratives, characters, and said character's progression from other media, was a huge step for the Halo franchise. I was dying for the characters to have this kind of feeling for each Halo game, after reading the stellar Eric Nylund books. I felt the game was familiar in a good way, and though the change you so seek seems to be looming on the horizon, narrative wise, you have to take a first step, and this was a great one. On a side note; It sucks you didn't play through ODST, though you fight the Covenant, the pacing and feel of the game is a much different experience.

N, What direction did you expect them to take? Not being sarcastic here, genuinely curious. To me, the direction they took, including the narratives, characters, and said character's progression from other media, was a huge step for the Halo franchise. I was dying for the characters to have this kind of feeling for each Halo game, after reading the stellar Eric Nylund books. I felt the game was familiar in a good way, and though the change you so seek seems to be looming on the horizon, narrative wise, you have to take a first step, and this was a great one. On a side note; It sucks you didn't play through ODST, though you fight the Covenant, the pacing and feel of the game is a much different experience.

I've heard as much about ODST, so it's on a list somewhere.

Here's the thing, at the end of Halo 3, Bungie sent Master Chief and Cortana out to the middle of nowhere, far from where any human signals could be felt. It was like a blank slate ready to be written on. The Chief could have whole new adventures with a vastly different foe and then tie that in with the original Covenant/Forerunner story in a few games. Instead, the Infinity knows about Requiem within 4 years, the Covenant are already there, and you wind up at Earth in the end. For all that abandonment of previous lore, they just toss their lead away and wind up exactly where they started. It's a shame, really.

Imagine if the Forward Unto Dawn had been drifting for another hundred years? What crazy state would Cortana be in then? How would the galaxy be different? What about future shock? What if Master Chief was - as somewhat alluded to in this game - a relic that the UNSC (or whatever governing body it was at the time) wanted to retire, but only he had the key to solving the MacGuffin?

They had this new lease on life and just tossed the whole thing away, there's just so little adventure to be had. That's the most disappointing aspect of Halo 4.

I'm sorry, but you're nitpicking way too much. You're seriously whining that Master Chief has a new set of armor after being in cryo for four years? Does that somehow break the immersion for you? If you hadn't pointed it out, I wouldn't have even noticed he had new armor- just that he looks bad ass. Is the chief's armor really a story point, or an aesthetic detail?

In many respects, you're right. This is the same 'ol Halo: most of the campaign combat (I haven't played multiplayer yet) is the same old thing, but with more polish than I've ever seen in a Halo game. The thing is, you appear to be the only one who thinks this is a bad thing. The battles in Halo 4 are as nail-biting as ever (if you play heroic+). The arsenal is broad enough that I find myself carefully deliberating which two weapons I want to bring into the battlefield. The weapons are so viscerally satisfying that even reloading is rewarding. Thank god 343 removed dual wield. Read into it that and you'll see that 343 has a great grasp on what makes halo combat great.

I'm wary of some of the systematic changes in the online game. There is probably legitimate room to gripe, there. However, when it comes to the campaign, this is arguably the most memorable installment to date, and I'm really enjoying it. I realize you gave Halo 4 a great score, but I'm a little confused about why you're whining so much. You at once appreciate the incredible polish that Halo 4 displays, but whine that the game didn't break the mold more, as if the game would even be half of what it is if it didn't have several games preceding it. I played halo 3 and reach because they were legitimately challenging FPS games.

I'm glad you took a single aside and made it into a paragraph, then told me _I'm_ whining. ;)

Yeah, it's the most polished Halo campaign ever, yeah, it's the best-told campaign ever. Is it also the campaign that set the imagination to the lowest possible setting? Yeah, I think so. I'd say any other Halo game has been more adventurous than 4 was, which is why I buy these things in the first place. Show me strange new worlds and civilizations, so forth. I've seen all that other stuff.

Whoa, whoa peoples. Though I agree N is being a little picky, can't we all just get along? Personally thought 343 did a great job wrapping this up. But to get so heated over an opinion , I mean, it's a video game. We all have our opinions but have no right to take each others so personally.

Whoa, whoa peoples. Though I agree N is being a little picky, can't we all just get along? Personally thought 343 did a great job wrapping this up. But to get so heated over an opinion , I mean, it's a video game. We all have our opinions but have no right to take each others so personally.

Yeah, well that's just your opinion on other peoples' opinions so you can keep it to yourself in my opinion.

I think that's what I mean.

Sort of.

I've been up and down on the Halo Fatigue Scale. I think the height for me occurred when I bought the Anniversary Edition of Halo: Combat Evolved because it had the name "Halo" on it and then I realized that I was experiencing no joy when playing it.

Halo 4, however, is a great game in my opinion. It is very Haloesque, of course, which is clearly what 343 was going for, right down to the little note that they give fans at the beginning. To that, if you have no interest in ever shooting another Covenant Grunt in the head again, then you want to steer clear of this game.

I see N's point about all the same old same old, and I agree to a degree, but it really didn't bother me. I think 343 did the right thing by using Halo 4 to bridge from Bungie's legacy into their own future games. They introduced new enemies and new weapons and even an actual villain, all while still keeping the overall experience familiar. Perhaps they didn't do enough, but you change or remove enough of these elements and it kind of stops being a Halo game. If you don't want what Halo has done well over the last 10 years, then you probably want something else. But if you like Halo and you're looking for more, 343's Halo 4 delivers.

Having said that, Halo 4 did make me a little weary of all of the pointless, Tron-inspired Forerunner structures. These levels are cool-looking, but I couldn't get over how useless they are. Why did the Forerunners build a bunch of samey rooms full of weird ramps to nowhere, all decorated with glowy lines everywhere? Did they do this just because thousands of years later, Master Chief and his AI construct would need a Point A and a Point B to travel between in style?

As far as the story goes, I think Halo 4 is the best by a mile 343 achieved something that Bungie never could by actually giving Master Chief a soul. I liked that they developed Chief's relationship with Cortana. The ending dishes up the cheese, but I found it to be a better overall experience than any of the jumbled messes that were the other game's story lines. The possible exception to this is Halo Reach, which was the only other Halo game to make me feel something for the characters.

I think 343's goal was to please Halo fans, and in that they succeeded with a solid game. I'd hazard if you want something drastically different than what 343 was going for, then you probably don't want a Halo game in the first place. Which is perfectly fair after... how many? ... seven games.

And don't hate on N for his review. He asked me if I could review the game, but I've been too busy (read: slacking).

Yeah, well that's just your opinion on other peoples' opinions so you can keep it to yourself in my opinion.

I think that's what I mean.

Sort of.

I'll admit, I was a little toasty when I posted that.

But still..