Banhammer Forums
Sign in to follow this  
N

What do you think of the Occupy Wall Street protests?

What do they want?

Jobs? How is interrupting businesses going to give them jobs?

Money? Get in line. Get a job. See point one.

Law changes? Vote moar.

I don't get it. This strikes me as a manufactured Burning Man for votes. I wouldn't be suprised to see hair bead vendors amongst that unwashed hipster trash.

I'm kind of torn on opinion.

On the one hand, I agree with Dad completely.

On the other, the wealth disparity is insane. Sure, get a job, get money, aside from there being millions, yes MILLIONS of people in this country can't even do that at all, if you're lucky enough too you still won't be making even the smallest fraction of the amount the "1%" is making.

This country needs real drastic change at the fundamental level. It's not working.

The ultra rich are becoming a club, they watch each others backs and they're controlling the political process fully. Voting can't change anything.

Just put yourself in the shoes of even the most well intentioned senator. One day, a man comes up and says "Hey, vote yes on this bill or we'll spend 10's of millions of dollars to make sure you never serve in public office again." What are you going to do? Take the high road? Fine, now you're a disgrace and someone willing to tow the line is in office. And I'm sure the bill passed anyway because everyone else went for it.

Sure, most of us have it alright. But then remember, what you make in a year, that's their hourly wage.

As a politician, it's your job to fend off the lobbyists. There's no excuse.

And you say 'ultra rich disparity', but where do you draw the line? As soon as you start cleaving classes, you begin to alienate them, then the rich won't want to be here anymore.

I'm kind of torn on opinion.

On the one hand' date=' I agree with Dad completely.

On the other, the wealth disparity is insane. Sure, get a job, get money, aside from there being millions, yes MILLIONS of people in this country can't even do that at all, if you're lucky enough too you still won't be making even the smallest fraction of the amount the "1%" is making.[/quote']

OK, so you don't get to be a millionare. Neither do I. I also don't get to play in the NBA, even if I'm really, really good.

This country needs real drastic change at the fundamental level. It's not working.

The ultra rich are becoming a club, they watch each others backs and they're controlling the political process fully. Voting can't change anything.

Can you be more specific here, because I really don't agree with any of this. Voting can, has, and will change all sorts of things. No one 'controls' the political process. There is no secret ultra-rich club. Hell, the rich don't even agree on who should pay what.

Just put yourself in the shoes of even the most well intentioned senator. One day, a man comes up and says "Hey, vote yes on this bill or we'll spend 10's of millions of dollars to make sure you never serve in public office again." What are you going to do? Take the high road? Fine, now you're a disgrace and someone willing to tow the line is in office. And I'm sure the bill passed anyway because everyone else went for it.

Just because you don't have faith that anyone who ever gets elected has the character to make the right decisions in spite of pressure, doesn't mean those folks don't exist. (See Paul Ryan, Marco Rubio, and Dr. Ron Paul misguided as he may be)

Sure, most of us have it alright. But then remember, what you make in a year, that's their hourly wage.

No it isn't.

Based on a 100,000 dollar a year salary (not saying it's mine, but it's an attainable goal for the middle class), you're talking an hourly wage of 2,080,000,000,000,000, or just a little over 2 quadrillion dollars a year. If you have trouble comprehending numbers that large (everyone does), you're talking about roughly twice as much money as actually exists in the universe.

It's 'Hate the rich' hyperbole. It's the reasons douchebags are camping in sleeping bags they bought for the occasion and ranting on their Ipads while they check and see how many follwers they have on Twitter.

I'm honestly always on your side of the argument Dad, why my arguments aren't thought out at all.

It's just starting to get to me.

Just don't understand the people arguing the poor should give away a higher percent of their income than the rich. When has "trickle down" worked?

And just the principle seems absurd to me.

Is the CEO of a company going to hold off on hiring someone because he has to pay an extra percent on his personal income? I don't see that happening.

You watch the news and they act like making the rich pay taxes will cause the whole system to come crumbling down.

Who has ever argued that the poor give away a higher percent of their income than the rich? Ever? In the history of mankind? "The rich" already pay the absolute highest amount as a percentage of income. The richest 1 percent make 19 percent of all the income but they pay 37 percent of all the taxes. The top 10 percent? They pay 68 percent of all the taxes.

The bottom 50 percent make 13 percent of all the income, but pay 3 percent of all the taxes.

I don't know where you get your ideas of who pays how much to whom. Start reading here, and then find someone who disagrees with the information and see whether thier arguments make sense.

http://www.american.com/archive/2007/no ... -the-taxes

Hiring someone is expensive. Do you have any idea how much it costs to bring on an employee in a corporation due to HR, regulations, taxes, and other roadblocks put in the way by government?

Maybe it's a perception that the rich are in a better position to shelter their money be retaining their own staff of accountants that help exploit Loopholes/Deductions or to just move the money over seas.

Or even more locally if the city managers decide to entice a big box store like Walmart to move in they might give them a tax break, while the small business owners who have been there for decades continue to pay the regular rate. In a way subsidizing the new competition that will drive them out of town.

However while this all involves big business I think the problems ultimately trace back to government participating in a kind of crony capitalism or attempting to manage American Industry and the Economy. Trying to pick the winners and losers and making the overall business environment more chaotic as people keep trying to anticipate the rule changes.

Now there's an argument with merit. But lets not confuse personal income taxes with corporate taxes. I'd be all for closing all the corporate tax loopholes if America had anything approaching a competitive corporate tax rate compared to the rest of the world. But without drastically reducing the what...36 percent corporate tax rate? You close those loopholes without lowering the general rate, and every oursourcable job imaginable leaves this country the next day.

My view? People are just generally dissatisfied with everything, and because of the loose "we don't like wall street!" message, other groups/people with various issues are piggybacking on it. I don't think its any one cause, its just becoming a platform to voice anger/displeasure/frustration etc at everything under the sun.

It took a while for the media to catch on outside of NYC, but what will determine how much is spreads is how much attention the media decides to give it.

Now there's an argument with merit. But lets not confuse personal income taxes with corporate taxes. I'd be all for closing all the corporate tax loopholes if America had anything approaching a competitive corporate tax rate compared to the rest of the world. But without drastically reducing the what...36 percent corporate tax rate? You close those loopholes without lowering the general rate' date=' and every oursourcable job imaginable leaves this country the next day.[/quote']

I think it's all the same to a lot of people. They just see the wealthy getting any special treatment and probably feel their taxes are going toward giving breaks to big business.

Interestingly Michigan's governor is struggling to reduce the state's own high business tax across the board. No picking favorites anymore. In the short term this is challenging to balance the state budget and sort of rearrange the tax burden, but it will be interesting to see if this move pays off.

There isn't a consistent message coming from OWS. The only consistency they can muster is a hate for the upper class. That's pretty lame.

If they really wanted change, they'd focus on the tax code. Make it more simple and transparent. Make it flat so that politicians can't pit classes against each other for votes or influence. Get rid of most, if not all write offs, except maybe a small handful that are simple and transparent. Prevent government from having the ability to do favors for industry.

You can't stop the lobbying and corruption with protests.

What I take from this is they're protesting a system that doesn't seem to work. They don't understand why, they'll sort out the details as they go.

But really it seems like it's getting really hard to get ahead. I tried to get out of trucking and I could not find any regular local work where I live even trying at big box stores. Then even if you do manage to get a wage slave job it's hard to find an apartment you can afford.

The more I see, the more I dislike. It's financed. It's endorsed by the Nazis. There have been anti-semite rants, child molesters exposing themselves, lunatic diatribes about the Bilderbergs, and yet this is supposed to be some kind of political movement instead of an opportunistic freak magnet.

We'll see how these pampered little yuppie spawn deal with a little snow. "Camping out in the hopes of free shit" is all fun and games until someone loses a toe to frostbite, or gets arrested for public masturbation (again).

The more this drags on the more the self proclaimed %99 title annoys me. These people lounging around in smelly camps or starting fires do not represent %99 of America. I think the figure should be adjusted down to something that makes sense.

I mean many people that make a couple hundred thousand a year don't make it into the top %1 but they're not part of the smelly bum percent either.