Banhammer Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FleshEatingZipper

Windows 8 Review: A Modern Experiment

I actually don't mind the search feature using just the windows key (with two keyboards) but yeah. Win + X key is awesome. So are many other win + other keys. Print screen finally actually saves automatically (for example)! :O

I'm not sure about it. I've toyed with it on friend's computers and on display machines at stores and such, and maybe I'm just too old-school but I find it to be frustratingly confusing and completely counter-intuitive. What seems like something should be based on the ways Windows has been for so long... yeah, completely opposite and totally random, not what you think it should/would be. It probably just takes more getting used to.

And maybe a handy 'quick start guide' that I've yet to see for us old-school, entrenched 7 users that have been using certain command and function sequences for years. Y'know, something to say "Hey, you USED to do THIS, but NOW you do THAT!"

I'll end up probably installing it as a second OS on one of my computers and giving it a serious try sooner or later. In the mean time I'm still very happy with Windows 7.

I'm only really a fan of Windows 8 with a touch screen.

I tried it on my desktop, and it is faster, but without touch it just makes me sit there reminding me... nya nya nya... your monitor doesn't have touch! You suck!

It's a little weird to have the gestures on there when you don't have an actual touch screen, especially when you have a multi-monitor setup, but I've gotten over it.

Here's a silly question, now I have the option to upgrade my phone with T-Mobile, and one of their "no down payment" options is the Windows Phone 8x by HTC. Any advice? (I may however be holding out for the Galaxy Note 2, because the ability to take notes on my phone is HUUUUUUGE to me).

We tried Linux for a few weeks at my old job.

That didn't go over very well.

Maya ran faster, so that was good. But other than that.... umm... the amount of tech support needed in the department needed to do basic things was just too costly. The OS was free, but it still cost us a lot of money.

And using GIMP instead of Photoshop didn't make any of the artists happy.

We actually ended up going back to Vista because of the backlash. Yes, VISTA.

Here's a silly question, now I have the option to upgrade my phone with T-Mobile, and one of their "no down payment" options is the Windows Phone 8x by HTC. Any advice? (I may however be holding out for the Galaxy Note 2, because the ability to take notes on my phone is HUUUUUUGE to me).

I love Windows Phone. But honestly, the only OEM that really seems to be actually doing anything worthwhile is Nokia. They have a bunch of EXCLUSIVE first and second party apps. They also pay for an exclusivity period to bring many 3rd party apps to Windows Phone.

So while the 8X is nice, you may end up sitting there cursing Nokia because they get more cool stuff and HTC isn't giving you anything cool.

@Nordic If I had a second phone, it would be a Windows Phone. Back when in the Zune days, when I was more invested in Microsoft's ecosystem, I waited so long to convert, but when they didn't bring one to Sprint, I was furious when I needed to replace my Pre, (which I also loved, but was falling apart). I switched to Android while waiting for Windows Phone and I've been with it ever since and for the forseeable future.

Windows Phone is gorgeous, already has plenty of cool apps, but it's not the BEST out there.

Oh, and did someone GIMP? HATE. HATE. HATE GIMP.