Banhammer Forums

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Review: Exactly the Movie You’re Expecting

• 1 year later...

This is a Tolken's fanboy movie. Its the Hobbit + various other stories from the Simirillion and other books, making it much longer than what it needed. I personally love it as I see it as getting more than what I came for. In addition, while the book is x pages long, the scenes in the movie are played out in full. A books dialogue can be a paragraph in length, but in a real world scenario there's pauses and actions that extend the length of the dialogue.

Personally, I was extremely excited the entire time because it was a story of my youth that engaged me. This rendition did that and then some.

The albino Orc, Yazneg is completely unnecessary, and very poorly rendered. He honestly looked like a video-game character model in a HDR lighting pre-rendered cutscene. And really, all that DIALOGUE intermingled with cuts back to the characters, especially at the beginning, felt like a waste of time.

It still is better than Rankin/Bass's adaptions, so there is that. I think at this point Jackson just wants to read the books to us rather than create a unique film.