Banhammer Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FleshEatingZipper

John Dies at the End Review: Just Read the Book

I got about halfway through the book, then the holidays hit and I lost interest. I like the writing style a lot, but the story wasn't pulling me in. Reminded me of From a Buick 8 by Stephen King, which I didn't really care for. When I stopped reading, the book was starting to drag - it felt like a lot of randomness for the sake of it.

Yeah, I was kinda feeling the same. I'm toward the end of the roach man story and the tangents to just crazy whatever's going on or some tribal history lesson, eh, didn't do much for me. It reads a lot like something that was posting gradually over the internet, like the OTL Farm story that Tomch was writing. He gave me a copy since I hadn't read it yet. I can't read it, it's just too much.

I actually had the same problem with a book that Johnny recommended, Then We Came To The End where it starts out strong, but then it just keeps going... and going ... and going. I think I'm in both books and Snow Crash. Wow, I think I'm trending...

You didn't like And Then We Came to the End?! Aww, that sucks. It was tangential, that's true, but that book kept my interest and I loved the first person plural narrative.

Coincidentally, it was just after the Roach Man story in John Dies at the End where I put the book down and didn't bother to pick it up again. During that section I kept thinking, "This is really long and really detailed and really pointless." Perhaps I will give the book another try...

Yeah, I didn't mind the first-person plural, but I think it reduced my empathy for any particular person. Someone wrote a really valid complaint about it and it was so good and I don't remember what it was. I stopped after the totem pole thing after that one dude died.

I laughed like hell when the one lady started panicking about the serial numbers on the chairs. Oh my god, so hard.

I have not read this book, but I did finally see the movie. I enjoyed the randomness of it and it did kind of make me think of Phantasm. To some extent, it also kind of reminds me of John Carpenter's better movies like IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS, except with more satire than horror.