Banhammer Forums

NBC's Hannibal

Ape_Still_Rules

• 2 weeks later...

I don't watch that much TV and completely missed this on NBC. I wonder if there will be a repeat I can DVR?

I'm a fan of Thomas Harris' books though and I've enjoyed all the Hannibal related movies(except I've not seen or read Hannibal Rising). I've also never gotten around to watch Manhunter.

I'm surprised I'm even interested in this TV show, but the clips I've seen on YouTube are very good and remind me of the introduction of Dr. Lecter in Red Dragon. I feel like with so many promising TV shows the crew is up for this and they need to beware of the Executives and Marketing people. I also hope they don't get tossed around randomly in different times slots.

If there is aggressive support for this show from NBC, it's because being shown on TV is only incidental to their real plan to go after the DVD market.

Finally caught up with the show seeing a repeat of the premiere and the 2nd episode.

The strange thing is this show is really close to the FBI serial killer profiler cliche. I suppose it's because their mining the material that inspired those kinds of shows and movies in the first place. Somehow they're really working this thing though, and I feel it has strong potential.

I guess the thing is most people who pay attention to film are fully aware of Hannibal being a killer, so as a consequence they dangle that carrot in front of the audience while on the side trying to slip in some plot twists. I mean we know where this is going because of Red Dragon and eventually The Silence of the Lambs. So it seems like this show is working hard to prove it's not a predictable straight path leading up to those films. I really like that so far it does not feel formulaic at all.

I am tempted to speculate on what we will see. I think eventually Will Graham will see a certain vital clue that brings it all together. I'm also curious of this show is going to tap in the Hannibal Rising book and explore Hannibal's past.

For some reason I have not read that book or seen that movie because I had the strong feeling it was just Thomas Harris kicking it out for an easy paycheck.

Aside from the story, I also have to agree with visual presentation being very well done considering it's on network television.

Another thought, I think these girls who maybe Hannibal's victims have a similar profile to Clarice Starling. I think that is why Hannibal was willing to even talk to her in the Silence of the Lambs. I wonder if that is even why Crawford sent her in that nuthouse.

It's kind of crime drama with unorthodox procedure based on Graham's insights into the crime scenes.

It's a little different here in that Graham clearly suffers from using his visualizing talent. He seems haunted by what he experiences out in the field. This is interesting because I wondered if the Serial Killer Profiler was getting to be cliche, but they're managing to do this a little differently.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally caught episode 3 on DVR.

I like how this continued to play off the Hobbs killings. I'm a little concerned that next week yet another serial killer will be introduced. I mean how long can a show introduce a new serial killer every other week before it seems a little far fetched. (I dunno maybe that's what Dexter does).

I'm also not sure how long a show can string along everyone about a profiler who has a Cannibal Psychiatrist and fails to even have a suspicion something not quite right. I'm waiting for it to become a running gag skit on Saturday Night Live.

• 2 weeks later...

Catching up with this show on DVR. I thought the "Angel Killer" was really pushing it, but I still think this show has great potential.

I feel this show can better support itself with the Dr. Gideon / Chesapeake killer plot and how it may tie in with Hannibal.

I'm also amused to see other familiar faces show up in this show like Dr. Chilton.

Just watched the episode "Sorbet". I like the naming conventions for the shows lol.

I guess the main thing I'm intrigued with is I think it's about to create solid ties with The Silence of the Lambs. I suspect that Tobias is the Ripper and his partner's head is the one eventually found in the storage unit by Agent Starling in The Silence of the Lambs.

I'm also wondering Mason Verger will show his face.

• 1 month later...

Finally saw the season finale. I did think some episodic stories like the Totem on the beach were way over the top, but I find I enjoy the rest of the show and Mads portrayal of Hannibal very well done.

Especially the last two episodes wrapping up the Hobbs story arc from the start of the season.

The finale episode also teased a few things besides Will Graham's predicament. They're is still a side plot regarding Dr. Lecter's relationship to Dr. du Maurier. Does she suspect or even know what is going on here?

• 2 months later...