Banhammer Forums

Random Thoughts Thread

N

I just learned that an old high school sweet heart I dated in 11 grade (17rs old) is a lesbian living with a life partner in so. cal. Not sure how to take it.

Well considering you single handedly forced her to the other team my guess is you should take it pretty hard........since it is obvious she wasn't when dating you. ;)

Badass. Instead of just doing periodic 20 second sprints, do what we call "Thirty-Sixties". Sprint as hard as you can, full throttle, no holding back, for 30 seconds. Then do a very slow jog for 60 seconds. Repeat that 3 times. Next time you do it, do 4 times. Next time, do 5 times. Once you've gotten to 5 sets, bump it up to Sixty-One Twenty. 60 second sprint, 120 second jog, 3 times. Then 4 times. Then 5 times.

That will drastically improve your overall run speed, and is great cardio conditioning for your heart and lungs. It also builds the anaerobic twitch muscles used in sprinting.

Doing that once or twice a week, around your normal running and building through that progression over a month or so, you'll se a big improvement. :D

I'm dialing it up slowly. I was originally going to jump from 10 seconds to 30 seconds when 10 second bursts was almost literally a walk in the park, but with 20 I'm pushing my limits, even with two-minute recoveries. Today was faaaaar better than Monday, but eventually, yeah, I'll be scaling it down to those. I just don't want to die in the street yet ;)

Well considering you single handedly forced her to the other team my guess is you should take it pretty hard........since it is obvious she wasn't when dating you. ;)

In my defiance she was my first, so as I was hers, the first few times a little awkward, but! within a couple of months it would end with her screaming like a banshee.

My wife knew of her in high school and said she played both sides back then! And then she says "remember her friend Jamie who went to Alta High?" I said yes! And she was smokin' hot!!!! Well they were more than just "friends"! And then she tells me of a sleep over birthday party of some girl and my wife walked in on them in the shower together.

Why didn't I know this? Now this could be the BIGGEST lost opportunity of my life so far!!!!!

:(( :(( :((

Yeah, like I said, I honestly didn't think I'd be up for sprints, but even when I "sprint", it looks more like a "brisk walk". I can feel myself being inhibited by my size. Tomorrow, I'm giving @PapaKhaz's thirty-sixties a shake, but I'll just lap it on this street, rather than do it by gaining distance, that way I'm not stranded far from the house should I need to die.

Do them close to the house. Don't do it before or after a run... do it AS your run. Step out your door, do a bit of warm-up jog (5 minutes at most, slow to moderate pace) and some stretches, then turn around and start doing your sprints. You can just keep turning and going up and down the street staying near. Don't forget a cool-down jog or walk at the end, maybe 10 minutes or so (until your heart rate begins to come down near a normal rate).

But don't try and do that every day; Once or twice a week, and another once or twice a week of just plain running.

For your regular runs, you can either pick out a set, known distance as your mid-point (just be sure to try and TRULY push yourself on the backside if you feel yourself starting to fade before you've reached the last hundred yards or so) or go until you think you're a little UNDER midway through your desired distance then turn around (but if you do it that way, try and really push yourself and go PAST the house on the way back, then turn around and cool-down jog your last couple hundred yards back to the door.)

What's weird is that at 40 yrs old, I can still sprint pretty fast. Not as fast as when I was in high school, but I'm not really a slow poke.

My endurance sucks beyond suck. A full 30 second sprint will really put me out for a good 5 minutes. I'll also actually feel it the next day.

I think I'll take N as inspiration and try to actually start moving around more.

Shit, I wouldn't even try to sprint. There was a point in my last job where getting from my car to my desk was an exercise all its own. I overcame it by doing half-mile walks, which firmed up my legs, but I was left with the problem of my back having problems trying to carry my upper bulk. To that end, I began doing simple exercises like, well, merely standing for an extended period. I challenged myself to stand near my bed, with my laptop on my nightstand, for half an hour while I wrote an article. It was diabolical, but it has helped a lot. By the time we shot our 'Support Your Local FEZ' video, just two weeks after I moved out, I was having far fewer issues standing in one place and not feeling back pain/sweating it up.

Eventually, you'll start feeling more and more confident about doing stuff and want to go further and further. That's when i got the confidence to start incorporating sprints. I'm hoping to feel great by the time we get to E3, get ravaged by that again, then have an even better standing when I get back to do more extensive exercises.

Good to see people trying to get in the shape they want to be in. I've been going to the gym every day before work and taking 'weekends' off, so I like the motivation gained from knowing other people are also trying to better themselves.

Motivation and consistency are key factors. I always think that if you can build exercise into the daily routine it works well. If exercising is an option, I often find that I find an excuse not to do it. If it's just what you do every day, no questions asked, you're onto a winner.

Yeah, I've been doing purely weights for the last 6 weeks or so. Put on about 6lbs of muscle. Not bad really.

I have found in the past that dreary weather in general can put me off wanting to leave the house to go to the gym.

It can be hard during the rainy spring weather after a long day at college to go in the gym. I mostly make sure to at least do a treadmill session followed by weight machines. I don't have the greatest routine going, but just doing what I can with my schedule.